Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please bare with me folks, im just coming off the biggest high of my life /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Long story. Two and a half months ago my Mustang died. Nothing - i turned the key, nothing but a buzzing noise. Me knowing only very basic knowledge of cars (at the time) had to read and research,and of course post here to troubleshoot the problem. About a month of painstaking research, it all pointed to the starting motor. The what? where is that?

So i jacked up the car one weekend, found the thing and took the bolts off. About a week later i found a place that MIGHT be able to recondition it. So off it went to that place, and i was told "end of the week, itll be ready"

THREE weeks later, after lots of bull phonecalls of "we cant find this part" and "oh wait we have it, but we have to send this other part away" and so on, i got it back.

So i jacked up the car, stuck it on....wait a second....it doesnt fit. Why are there THREE bolt holes?

So off to the VMF, where i was informed this was a BIG BLOCK starting motor!! What??!?!

And so the phonecalls began. Cutting that story a bit, they MIXED UP the nose off of my starting motor with that of another one!

One week later, i have it back (Today!)

Up goes the car, on goes the starter. AHHH!! The wire connecting it to the solenoid broke! An hour later, and some improvising, its reattached.

Now intensly nervous, i lower the car, get in and turn the key.

NOTHING!

Ah! battery cable loose.

Back in it get, turn the key, pull the choke and in an instant the 289 V8 is rumbling like a jackhammer!!!

Totally out of characher, i jumped out of the car screaming at the top of my voice "YEEEEEHHHHAAA!!!"

Two and a half months it took - involving a trip to the hospital from an eye injury sustained when taking the starter off, which cost me 35 euro, 165 to have it reconditioned and countless VMF time, she;s alive!

So, if you folks will excuse me, im off to the hospital again to have this smile surgically removed from my face.

Thanks VMF!

Gary

·
Registered
189 Posts
Congrats! I hope to be there in about a week of two when I finish my mod project!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Great news! You have every right to kick up your heels. I guess it is a lot tougher to deal with something like that over there than it would be here. I still can't imagine driving a Mustang on some of those narrow and winding Irish roads. You must have excellent depth perception. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the 'narrow winding Irish roads" are almost a thing of the past here - especially in Dublin. The worst thing is the whole left hand drive. My stang doesnt see much road (about 5 miles this year /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif) but generally its a trip down a motorway. I plan on attending a few shows though, which are way into 'narrow winding road land'. How its gonna deal with those...we'll wait and see. But generally people tend to pull waaay over in fear when they hear the V8 /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Gary

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Most of my time in Ireland is spent in the general vicinity of Cork, except for the trip to and from the airport in Shannon. Last trip we went out into the countryside (Conagh?) to see a hurling match and the roads out there were definitely narrow and winding. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, well in Cork, thats different. A WHOLE different area. Us Dubliners and the Cork folks are completely different people. We have our sophistication, they have their sheep /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts