Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at my distributor the other day and I came across this yellow paint on the side. This is an original dizzy on a San Jose 66.

I'm just trying to figure out if I need to note this for my own notes.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Riverside66 said:
I'm looking at my distributor the other day and I came across this yellow paint on the side. This is an original dizzy on a San Jose 66.
/quote]

Pretty typical for smog equipped 66 San Jose cars

·
Registered
532 Posts
Might not be original..... most of the original distributors I've seen have a lot different type paint daub.More of a clear/laquer type daub. That looks like wrecking yard yellow to me. The vacuum advance is not original,are you sure it was not "serviced" at some time? I would not put that back on after /during restoration.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Have seen about 50 of the Calif cars marked in similar manner (later dist marks were typically allot smaller so I can understand the confusion)

IF this is for a 66 Thermactor car I would have no problem using the mark and if I found one so marked at a show I would not deduct points

Here is another example from my collection

·
Registered
532 Posts
Jeff,I noticed the picture of your example has two different numbers stamped into the housing....'65 date, is that a re-manufactured part?Very interesting to me as I restore/rebuild Ford distributors and make notes of odd finds. Right now I'm a little behind in my vacuum advance rebuilds,if anybody here is waiting. ;)

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Yes the stamping in the case is a bit odd (just the one I had handy that matched the yellow mark being discussed - but have seen many this way)

Would guess by your location that you don't get allot of original 66 dist from Thermactor cars ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
No, not many California smog equipped cars around here! I get a few call for those type numbers though. Have they all got that thick,yellow paint daub? Around here that means it came from a junk yard.Really,most of my NOS distributors or low mileage originals have a very "watered down" / pale color paint I.D. on them IF they have any. Very interesting. What color ( if any) have you seen on the '69 428 CJ cars?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
10w30dna said:
No, not many California smog equipped cars ............. Have they all got that thick,yellow paint daub?
In my experiances... yes but sometimes it was applied with a spray

10w30dna said:
Around here that means it came from a junk yard.
Know that mark ;) The self service places use to use the paint bottle with the ball tops to place that mark

10w30dna said:
Really,most of my NOS distributors or low mileage originals have a very "watered down" / pale color paint I.D. on them IF they have any. Very interesting.
Its a mix on the ones I have or have seen. Normally allot smaller but in most cases the paint is pretty thick.

10w30dna said:
What color ( if any) have you seen on the '69 428 CJ cars?
Nothing specific for that application. Do have a couple from a FE marked C8??-M but don't recall the application. Have a handful of NOS 428 dist but not CJ's with a small red on the points plate
and a transparent gold on the lip of the upper housing. As well as an ink stamp on the vacuum advance housing (facing the dist)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts