Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm planning some winter projects - this time cheaper than my previous idea of upgrading my engine. :crying:
So my idea is to convert my tail lights to LEDs - I'd also like to do it myself and not just go the normal route of buying the SD kit.
Living over here in Europe I'd really like to have some yellow turn signals at the back like there are on the front.
So my question is, has anyone tried yellow leds behind the stock red lenses?
I don't know how yellow they would actually be once the work.

What I'm planning is to run a new wire from the stop light switch so that I can isolate that from the turn signals - the running lights would power red LEDs via one resistor, the stop light switch would bypass the running light resistor and pass through a smaller resistor - that would give me the different light intensity when braking.
Finally I'd like to add some yellow LEDs in the middle of the red LEDs that would come on when the turn signal is activated.
Don't know if it would work - I've never done anything like this before but I think it should - if the yellow is strong enough.

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
IMO that you would need a clear lens in front of the Yellow Led.
You could saw off the single turn signal lens and replace it with a piece of clear plexiglass.
I am currently working on a completely clear rear lens set for my 68, I have a red Led array at the back.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO that you would need a clear lens in front of the Yellow Led.
You could saw off the single turn signal lens and replace it with a piece of clear plexiglass.
I am currently working on a completely clear rear lens set for my 68, I have a red Led array at the back.
Since posting I've found some people in the UK with VW buses that they've imported from the US. Seems that they have managed to retain the red lenses and use yellow leds to get an amber turn light.
I'm going to have to give it a go - only way to know!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hello;

This might work for you: I have LED design that converts your reverse light to a reverse/amber turn light.

The function of the revers light still works. But there is also amber LEDs for the turn signal.

Take a look at the video.

Thanks

Gary

Hi all,

I'm planning some winter projects - this time cheaper than my previous idea of upgrading my engine. :crying:
So my idea is to convert my tail lights to LEDs - I'd also like to do it myself and not just go the normal route of buying the SD kit.
Living over here in Europe I'd really like to have some yellow turn signals at the back like there are on the front.
So my question is, has anyone tried yellow leds behind the stock red lenses?
I don't know how yellow they would actually be once the work.

What I'm planning is to run a new wire from the stop light switch so that I can isolate that from the turn signals - the running lights would power red LEDs via one resistor, the stop light switch would bypass the running light resistor and pass through a smaller resistor - that would give me the different light intensity when braking.
Finally I'd like to add some yellow LEDs in the middle of the red LEDs that would come on when the turn signal is activated.
Don't know if it would work - I've never done anything like this before but I think it should - if the yellow is strong enough.

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not really visible when someone is up close behind you I guess.
Thanks all the same!
Actually they are.
I run these in Australia as amber is what we use also, and unless the person is literally about to touch their hood onto your trunk, they can see it perfectly fine. Plus it's a very bright led and stands out more so than many factory car turn signals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts