Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I'm waiting on the shop manuals to get here (cursing UPS the whole time for losing them once ...) I'll go ahead and ask a question. I changed the oil pan with the engine still in and haven't seen anything resembling a leak yet (thanks for the info tjbatzli, johnpro, and 66benchcoupe, it all came in handy). PO had apparently thought about replacing the pan because the crossmember was loose and a couple of the oil pan bolts had been torqued down too much just like the valve covers he put on had been.

Well, here's the question ... It looks like I'm tossing oil through the right exhaust bank. I've fired her up three times since I got the oil pan on and she threw oil all three. Didn't have that problem before ... what do you guys think? Piston ring? A seal?

Like I said in the last post, this is my first project, so I'm still learning what to look for. Any info/advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

kt
1969 Coupe ... work in progress

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Explain that "tossing oil" a bit more in detail....liquid, smoke, through the exhaust, on the exhaust...etc...

Also, give us a general idea of how the engine runs and how the spark plugs look in the affected cylinders...

Glad the pan project went well...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil is coming through the exhaust. Right out the tailpipe ... got a nice splatter pattern on the garage floor and driveway directly behind the right tailpipe. The spark plugs are brand new all the way around and I'm headed out to look at them right now for any residue ... will post back with that info in a minute.

edit: Engine sounds like it is firing on all 8 and runs pretty smoothly. I got the tuneup complete before I realized the plug I put in the old pan (after taping a new hole) was leaking. The leak was bad enough I knew I had to get a new pan ... let me go look at those spark plugs now ...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ktmach1 on 04/08/01 10:48 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
650 Posts
THAT SPLATTER COMING OUT THE PIPE MAY BE
CONDENSATION, WHICH IS NORMAL FOR AN IDELING
COLD ENGINE IT WILL LOOK LIKE BLACK WATER AND
WILL DRY ON THE GROUND QUICKLY. OIL WILL NOT
DRY AND IF IT IS BLOWING OIL ALL THE WAY OUT THE TAIL PIPE IT WILL BE BLOWING BLUE SMOKE BADLY
ROBBOB

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Are you sure it is oil? I have a 428 in my GT500 and when I fire it up and let it idle in the garage during the winter, I get large amounts of black looking deposits on the floor under the exhaust tips. it is not oil, just black soot from the enginr running mixed with condensation comming from the exhaust pipes.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I had a problem with soothy oil deposits inside my exhaust tips..I pulled the heads and redid them..turns out the valve seals were long shot..over time they dry out and become useless..

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/t-bird.jpg
The Black Bird At 42,she's the oldest in my Ford stable

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I did the smartest thing I could and ran a compression test. Cylinders #2 and #3 were both low. So I poured a little oil in while on #2 and lo and behold, the pressure came back up to about normal ... guess that means the rings in #2 are looking for replacing. Tried it with #3 and got the same result.

Moral of the story is for me to trust my gut instincts next time and use the knowledge I've picked up while reading this forum ... that was why I started reading it in the first place.

Once again, thanks guys.

kt
1969 Coupe ... work in progress

1 - 7 of 7 Posts