Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm working on a 5.0 HO motor to go into a 65 and its a question of serpentine or v belts. I want to run ac and power steering. The question is why would an efi timing cover need to have a reverse water pump? I saw one of the early covers on a chart and circled it. Totally agree the port is in a different position and water pump back would block it but from what I can tell about most covers is there's no port for the fuel pump and dipstick. I dont get the reasoning? Help!

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,281 Posts
The serpentine belts run around the pulley using the outside of the belt to turn it, spinning it in the opposite direction. Look at this diagram, it shows the belt routing differences

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the belts do but what does that have to do with regular or reverse water pumps? Many are posting that the timing cover is the reason but judging from the diagram there was only one timing cover that required a reverse water pump. i saw another post stating that people used v belts and their car's overheated and another post that it cost alot to use v belts but from my picture and diagrams from 5 older versions of the timing cover how can that be? is there something in the motor does it turn the opposite direction? All 5 versions except for one the water canals line up.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,281 Posts
Yes the belts do but what does that have to do with regular or reverse water pumps? Many are posting that the timing cover is the reason but judging from the diagram there was only one timing cover that required a reverse water pump. i saw another post stating that people used v belts and their car's overheated and another post that it cost alot to use v belts but from my picture and diagrams from 5 older versions of the timing cover how can that be? is there something in the motor does it turn the opposite direction? All 5 versions except for one the water canals line up.
It has everything to do with reverse water pumps as the different belts spin it it in opposite directions. The timing is dictated by the water pump, not the other way round.

·
Registered
934 Posts
You need to decide which setup you want.
Serpentine belt or V belt.

Serpentine belt setup will need a reverse rotation water pump and it’s equivalent timing cover.

Most of the folks here choose V belt and standard rotation water pump. The timing cover for this setup is ideal for a front sump oil pan and mechanical fuel pump. Just like the original classic mustangs had.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has everything to do with reverse water pumps as the different belts spin it it in opposite directions. The timing is dictated by the water pump, not the other way round.
I cant agree with you looking at this pic the serpentine is turning the pump clockwise. If the v belt turns it the same direction then they are the same flow.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,281 Posts
I cant agree with you looking at this pic the serpentine is turning the pump clockwise. If the v belt turns it the same direction then they are the same flow. View attachment 763532
Lmao, well if youll notice in your picture the serpentine wraps around the water pump pulley the opposite way as a v belt. If The pump in your pic turns clockwise, a v belt in my pic turns counter clockwise. Here's another pic for you....

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,639 Posts
The reverse rotation is to accommodate the flat belt. With any belt you need it to fill a certain percentage of the pulley to be in contact with the belt to get good "traction". As you can see in Redneck's diagrams above, all those versions have good bet coverage of about half the water pump pulley, except the last bare bones one. In that one you can see the belt is only engaging about 1/3 to 1/4 of the pulley. That's getting pretty iffy. The engineers couldn't come up with a good design to make a serpentine belt drive all the accessories plus how some engines might not get all those accessories so the design would need to accommodate those options too. Apparently they couldn't figure out how to achieve all that AND keep the pump going in the traditional direction. They cheated on some 1980's LTD's and Grand Marquis cars by using two belts and those had regular rotation water pumps AND serpentine belts.

Err, "Why" is basically what you were initially asking, right?

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i got the answer i was looking for which was focused on the timing cover. Which is good news because just about everywhere its about the timing cover. I wanted to know what the difference was that would make it a conspiracy. I dont want to go serpentine yet maybe down the road when i want to drop 8 or 9 hundred bucks. I did find pulleys that appears to be able to use your brackets. So the idea is to use stock equipment until i move over aftermarket

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289, TKO 5-spd, EFI, 4-discs, TCP coilovers
225 Posts
This is right. If the back of the serpentine belt is driving the water pump, it is going to turn in the opposite direction as the crank, hence the need for reverse rotation configuration. Clearly, with V-belts, you don't have this option - the V is always in the pulley groove, and you can't run anything with the back of the belt.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Following the crank rotation and how it pulls the belt and you will clearly see the V belt drives the water pump in a CC manner where as the serpentine belt will drive the water pump in the CW direction. What changes on the water pump is how the veins for the pump are made so the water will flow through the engine the same as a V belt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts