Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this 69 Mach 1 for 6 + years.It is very loud,and the entire exhaust was new when I bought the car,but the previous owner failed to answer my repeated question."Are those flowmasters on there?"I have crawled underneath and have looked a few times ,but could never find any markings on them.Well last night,armed with a flashlight and more determination I squeezed under there,found the Flowmaster embossing on the mufflers and a number.Turns out they are 40 series 2 chamber.Every negative thing ever said about them is true.The Drone is beyond belief!!! There couldn't possible be anything louder or trashier sounding!! Now I have to find something that I can fit in there and has a good LOW DEEP sound.ANY SUGGESTIONS?

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Every negative thing ever said about them is true.The Drone is beyond belief
I agree. I have driven many Mustangs with flowies on test drives, and I'd never put up with that long-term on my own car.

Have you ever heard the stock system? Sounds great, but quiet enough to not annoy your neighbors when you roll out for a Sunday drive.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
I have 40's on my FB and drove 1,800 miles this last summer. Not a problem.
Stan

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have 40 series, i dont mind them. but then again, im married. apparently i thrive on obnoxious

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am a recovering flowmaster owner, had them on my 92 Notch for two years and swore never again...
There are so many better flowing and MUCH truer sounding options out there now...
But it is a matter of personal preference, some can live with the drone in certain rpm bands, I could not, and now run Spintechs on the Boss and am very happy with them.
Loud? Yeah, but not so loud as to drown out the signature valve train note, and no predictable droning!
YMMV...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a recovering flowmaster owner, had them on my 92 Notch for two years and swore never again...
There are so many better flowing and MUCH truer sounding options out there now...
But it is a matter of personal preference, some can live with the drone in certain rpm bands, I could not, and now run Spintechs on the Boss and am very happy with them.
Loud? Yeah, but not so loud as to drown out the signature valve train note, and no predictable droning!
YMMV...
Loud is ok,I like it ,it's the drone at cruising speed I can't take.Spintect is pricey though huh?

·
Premium Member
10,938 Posts
!!! There couldn't possible be anything louder or trashier sounding!!
yes there is and its the no longer made Edelbrock RPM race mufflers. i still have a set. the loudest so called street muffler ever made. helped a lotta people get tickets but they flow like a straight pipe ! :shocked:

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had 40's on my old Mach1, with 3" straight pipes, and nothing after the mufflers, not even dumps. Everyone in my apartment complex hated my guts, lol. I remember pulling up to the grocery store and watching the windows in the front of the store vibrate. God those things were obnoxious.

·
Premium Member
10,938 Posts
behold ! the loudest so called street legal(haha) muffler(? yeah baby) ever made ! and replaced by the edelbrock SDT. this is the edelbrock 5562(ben discontinued a long time). once the glass packing blows out there really sound good and are very very LOUD !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
lets not paint all flowmasters with the same brush.....you guys will love this video....enjoy.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I feel exactly the same way about those damn things. I switched to Dynomax Ultraflo and love them.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
lets not paint all flowmasters with the same brush.....you guys will love this video....enjoy.

YouTube - Flowmaster Muffler Comparison
I'll paint all Flowmasters with the same brush except the Hushpower which are not the same as the other Flows. No matter the series they all sound like a hollow tin can even if they don't drone as much.

The only thing Flowmaster sounds good for is idle, if even that.

I wish all the muffler companies would do that video with the same motor and all the different mufflers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spintech

I have had this 69 Mach 1 for 6 + years.It is very loud,and the entire exhaust was new when I bought the car,but the previous owner failed to answer my repeated question."Are those flowmasters on there?"I have crawled underneath and have looked a few times ,but could never find any markings on them.Well last night,armed with a flashlight and more determination I squeezed under there,found the Flowmaster embossing on the mufflers and a number.Turns out they are 40 series 2 chamber.Every negative thing ever said about them is true.The Drone is beyond belief!!! There couldn't possible be anything louder or trashier sounding!! Now I have to find something that I can fit in there and has a good LOW DEEP sound.ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Spintech has my vote they are awsome

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
i got flowmaster super 40s 2 chamber. it only drones with windows up and the drone keeps me awake and gets the heat pumping of me and everyone else.

·
Premium Member
10,938 Posts
i thought a "drone" wuz one a them airplanes that dont got a man in it !!!:shaking::shaking:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I've got the 40's on mine with axle dumps...built as a temporary exhaust until I decided what it was that I wanted.....to tell the truth, I'm not sure that the drone everyone complains about really bothers me.....I built the car to hear, and feel it....

I will tell you one thing, nothing in our town sounds like this car as it runs up the gears of that toploader....not sure if I'll keep it the way it is, change it, and if I change it, to what?
Tom

1 - 20 of 42 Posts