Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the engine&transmission out of my `67 a couple weekends ago so I could sand blast the engine compartment Thats when I started thinking about replacing the power steering components Soooo.... I got out the trusty NPD book and started totaling up the cost of doing this.That is when I said CRAP! (okay maybe I said somthing worse than that!) Well then I thought maybe I should just change it to manual steering It should be cheaper right? To make a long story longer, Would I be better of doing this or spend the bucks and stay with power steering? :: Thanks

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That question depends on what you want really.However it also will depend a lot on what engine you have in the car.Manual steering with a small 8 or a 6 is fine but with a bigger engine it becomes a lot harder to turn. Out on the highway no problem but around town/city driving/parking it can wear you down a bit...Not sure what all you needed to redo the steering but a new rebuilt box goes for around $250 Canadian for most cars, pretty hard to redo one yourself that cheap.The Mustang ones might be a bit more,check at your Ford dealer for this as they still have access to the steering components as it also fits a lot of other Ford/Merc cars.
Don

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ya thoes prices in the NPD book are pretty steep, you can find new and rebuilt PS componants pretty cheap at the local auto stores, for example, my local mustang store has a rebuilt control valve for $289.95, ouch, Napa and Checkers had them for $129.95, and a new power cylinder I think ran just over $100.00 at Napa. Napa also had a PS pump rebuilt kit, and all the hoses I needed. I wouldent give up that luxurious power steering! It sure is nice to have driving around town, especially turning in tight spots like in and out of parking spaces. Good Luck. James. ::

1 - 3 of 3 Posts