Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the message board...and I think I'm more confused now then when I started. Maybe this thing wasn't a good idea.

Anyways...my questions:

I have an 65 convertible I6. I purchased the Pertronix and Flamethrower to basically do my entire ignition system at once. It seems teh flamethrower doesn't offer much better performance for the I6...but I also got it for my eventual upgrade to the V8.

The whole ballast resistor thing? I assume that I have a resister wire. That much I have gathered from the forum. Is this still true for the I6. I do not have a wiring diagram.

If so...then I need to wire to a 12 V switching source. Can I wire directly to the red/green (ignition) wire coming out of the Voltage regulator? It seems much easier to splice into that then to wire into the interior. Is the red/green wire the same for the I6 as the V8s everyone talks about for the ignition?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
See if you have a red-green stripe wire which runs from the ignition switch and connects (in a single pin connector) to a pink wire which runs to a multi pin connector. If so, the pink wire is the resistor wire and could be replaced with a piece of straight wire of the same guage. There should be another red-green stripe wire at the multi-pin connector going into the same pinout....this is the actual wire that goes to the coil...the reason it's arranged this way is that, when starting, a circuit in the starter solenoid is closed and 12V is sent to the coil through a brown wire which terminates at the opposite side pinout of the same multi-pin connector. I'd have to check the actual loom to give more details on connection methods.

I'm sure others who've done the Pertronix swap can help out as I've only built looms from scratch...

Performance-wise, don't expect much from the changes...mainly they're for reliability and ignition system longevity, at least in the case of your stock/mild inliner.

Good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just looked at my ignition switch and traced some wires. The ignition switch has three wires coming into the side of the switch. Yellow, Red/Blue, and Red/White. Yellow seems to run to starting solenoid. Red/White seems to go to coil. Red/blue I don't know about. There is a post on the back of the ignition switch with wires connected. One black the other black/green.

Should I splice into the yellow?

Thanks again. Slade

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another piece to to pie.

I just borrowed myh neighbors multi-meter (I love having 3 neighbors that are electricians). I did a voltage check at the wire that connects to the coil (red/white). I got 12 V across the mutli meter when the car was in the run position? Is this normal for a I6? Now I assume I have no ballast resistor or resistor wire and that I can hook directly up to my coil and get the proper 12V to the pertronix. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Slade

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If you're getting 12V at the coil primary terminal with the ignition in the run position, then I'd say you're good to go...

If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be under the bus before the afternoon is over...*G*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts