Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize it's heresy, but it's a real thing, it works, and for some of us it's a legit option.
I don't have the money for a paint booth job, even at Maaco. By the time I upgrade to their "decent" 2-stage I'm still in for upwards of $2k and I'll have overspray everywhere. And at that I'd have to do all the body work and prep myself.

My '66 was in bad shape from a very poorly done respray years ago. Cracking, chipping, and fading, never mind some body damage from the PO's encounter with a tree. I've got the ability to do some body work and the equipment for and experience with a 2-stage paint job. My avatar is a paint job I did 5 years ago. But 3 years ago we moved to the woods of western Oregon where my one stall garage has a dirt floor. Gravel driveway and 150' fir trees that drop sap, needles, and bugs.

Then I stumbled across this:
https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/craig-fitzgerald/how-paint-car-bucket-rust-oleum-and-roller?fbclid=IwAR2HhLT6n16BCjwvZfzSM88fmOZgsoAm6DHNTX6nBrNg243ssjk4-8Ojtew
(read all the article's internal links for more helpful info.)

Long story short, I got a very presentable paint job for under $250 not including body filler and some consumables. I can and will improve it with some wet sanding and buffing but it's a solid 10-footer. I could do better next time; there's a learning curve, esp. getting the paint/mineral spirits ratio right. But it looks a LOT better than it did for a price I could handle.
Oh, and Rustoleum Regal Red is so close to the original that if they're right next to each other you *might* notice a difference.

SCORE

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,395 Posts
Rumor has it the boat guys started the technique. It really took off with a thread on a Dodge forum though. It will take you days to read through it all.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/22026/1.html

That thread impressed me enough to fool with Rustoleum myself. I did a couple of bikes with it and have one in progress even now. This one came out alright. Of course a coat of 2K clear on top didn't hurt. But everything under that is Rustoleum Pro paint. (Sprayed)
Pre-clear:

With clear (and decals)

Like Dr says above, don't tell. :) Annnnndddd, where's the pictures?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Like Dr says above, don't tell. :) Annnnndddd, where's the pictures?
But that would ruin all the fun! It amuses me you can get a paint job that looks good enough for a driver for a couple hundred dollars...might well paint my mustang that way myself...or at least try it that way to start with and if unhappy with the results just sand it down and go conventional.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, help me out please. I've got a photobucket album with some pics but can't figure out how to get that link in here.
TIA

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
OK, help me out please. I've got a photobucket album with some pics but can't figure out how to get that link in here.
TIA
There is a link to the right of every photobocket picture...specifically there are 4 links...the last one is the image link...copy and paste it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Looks good for $250.00! Another alternative for painting on a budget is the Duplicolor quarts that they sell at auto parts stores. Buy a $50.00 paint gun at Walmart and go to town ;) You'd be surprised at the results. The problem with Rustoleum is that is chips very easily. You will probably start to see rock chips on the front of the car very soon but, buy a couple of rattle cans and you are good to go again. $2000.00 for the cheapest Maaco paint job??

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looks good for $250.00! Another alternative for painting on a budget is the Duplicolor quarts that they sell at auto parts stores. Buy a $50.00 paint gun at Walmart and go to town ;) You'd be surprised at the results. The problem with Rustoleum is that is chips very easily. You will probably start to see rock chips on the front of the car very soon but, buy a couple of rattle cans and you are good to go again. $2000.00 for the cheapest Maaco paint job??
Any webpages or guides for the duplicolor job?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I've got the gun, compressor, and all the pieces. But spraying anything but water out in the woods just isn't going to work. Way too much stuff in the air and falling from the trees. Never mind the bugs.
Yes, this will chip. But as you say, a rattle can in this stock color will take care of it quickly and easily. Also, I've got a small bottle of the mixed liquid and a foam brush ready to go.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Cheap paint does not stick very well and degrades quickly. If I were to do a cheap auto paint job, I would use an industrial enamel like Hy-Lux acrylic enamel. Reduce about 30% with acetone and add the catalyst. Roughly $50 a gallon plus 20 or 30 for the catalyst. Only comes in basic colors. Infinitely better than Rust O. Would have to be sprayed for a good finish. I am extremely well experienced with this sort of thing, so I do know what I am talking about.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,395 Posts
Alkyd enamel and acrylic enamel spray and endure about the same for me. I forgot to say that I do add the enamel "hardener" when I use Rustoleum. Around I can find it at Tractor Supply Co., which also happens to have some budget-friendly enamel paints. Not so great color chopices.
People have been happily applying stuff like "John Deere blitz black" paint to hot rods for years and no one blinks an. Mention Rustoleum and somem folks lose their minds. It's kind of weird. Enamels are not high-production paint shop friendly but work a lot better than people give them credit for. More than a few "survivor" paint jobs out there from years back that are enamels. Very few lacquers.

Speaking of which, the Duplicolor stuff is lacquer and sprays like it's about 75% thinner. Takes like ten coats before you get any coverage at all (with the metallics I bought to try out). I like lacquer. I like how it sprays and I like working with it. Sometimes. But the Duplicolor stuff will end up costing you double or more than if you just bought some decent enamel or even regular automotive lacquer. If anyone sells that any more. The paint isn't bad, just they reduce so much it's a terrible value for the money.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
When I was stationed in Italy, I painted a Fiat 600 using Rustolium rattle cans. It took about 10 cans to cover. It was bright orange, and for about 6 months it looked great. Then it started chalking up. I tried buffing it out and using a cleaner wax but nothing would stop the chalk. I later sold it for about what I had into it and rotated back to the states.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts