Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,727 Posts
Those are 15x7 wheels with 4.25” backspacing, same as I have with 215/60–15 front and 245/60-15 rear.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I think those wheels look great and much better than those Cragars (although not an ugly wheel), but that's just my taste of course. The ride height looks close to stock, maybe a bit lower.

In case you're still confused about backspacing and offset: remember that the actual width of any wheel is (almost) always 1" wider than the nominal size. The wheel size is measured between the lips, where the tire mounts. In addition to that, there's a 1/2" wide lip on each side.

So: a 15x7 wheel is really 8" wide. With 4" backspace, the mounting flange is exactly in the middle and offset is zero. With 4.25" backspace, the mounting flange is 1/4" (or +6mm) more outwards.

If you make a sketch of your current wheels and clearance to the fender lips and then add the new wheels and tires, you can probably make a better judgement if it will work or not.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
My 65 has SSW with 15x7 4.25BS all the way around. I went with a pretty narrow front tire 195/65/15 on the front. I want to be able to drive the car without worrying about banging the tire into the fender on every bump or dip.

When I bought the car it had 225/60/15 all the way around and the first time I pulled into the driveway the front tire hit the fender.

I like the staggered look and I like to be able to drive it worry free even better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks to 'Russstang', 'Helmantel', and 'bmcgc', all very useful commentary, especially 'Helmantel' for suggesting sketching it out, which is something I imagine you more learned folks can do in your heads. Along with the other great info/advice I've gotten, I FINALLY have that mental picture of HOW the wheel moves in space in relation to the offset/backspace AND fender/well dimensions...mebbe shoulda gone to college after all, lol!! Seriously, thanks alot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok kids, here is my new wheel choice, in proper spec. Somehow, I’d like to get a spinner center cap but don’t know the cap measurements yet. Also, gonna go with black lugs, methinks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Oh, yeah, almost forgot to ask; what brand of tires? I think I’m done with BFG...Cooper Cobras look interesting, but mebbe ”RWL” aint the way to go anymore. 🤔 And repro Firestone or Goodyear are too costly, prob look cool but I can’t drop 1K+ on tires.
Thanks for your thoughts!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts