Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching all over the forum and internet for the last three days and I have not found the answer to my questions. I will pose this question and hope that those who have done this can shed some light and maybe provide some measurements.

These questions mostly apply to narrowing down the Explorer 8.8 to fit 65-66 cars.

1. After narrowed using another passenger side axle in place of the driver side, what is the resulting width of the new rear end? (Stock for 65-66 is 57.25, Versailles is 58.50. Putting this here for reference)

2. After narrowing as in question #1, is the pinion offset in reference to the axle ends or is it centered?

If I overlooked any of this info in a previous thread can someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

Fred

·
Registered
353 Posts
(Stock for 65-66 is 57.25, Versailles is 58.50. Putting this here for reference)
Nope. Not the Versailles axle I've got. It's the same as a 65-66 over the axle flanges, but it's net about 57 3/4 over the discs because the disc hat is thicker than a drum.

Maybe some years of Versailles axle were different, and thirty years later I couldn't tell you what year mine came off of (or whether it came off of one of the few disc-brake Grandads or Monarchs) but it's 57.25 over the axles.

It's sitting in pieces in my storage shed, I had it in a '66 Falcon for a number of years (the spring pads were moved 2in wider) and with luck I'll find another Falcon to put it in sometime.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope. Not the Versailles axle I've got. It's the same as a 65-66 over the axle flanges, but it's net about 57 3/4 over the discs because the disc hat is thicker than a drum.

Maybe some years of Versailles axle were different, and thirty years later I couldn't tell you what year mine came off of (or whether it came off of one of the few disc-brake Grandads or Monarchs) but it's 57.25 over the axles.

It's sitting in pieces in my storage shed, I had it in a '66 Falcon for a number of years (the spring pads were moved 2in wider) and with luck I'll find another Falcon to put it in sometime.
Hmmm, interesting and thank you for that, I better go check my Versailles rear end before I make a decision here.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have the stock axle and an explorer 8.8 sitting in my shop now. The 8.8 is exactly 2 inches wider. I have not gotten a repeatable measurement, to my satisfaction, of the difference in tube lengths. So far 2-2.75 inches. Will update when I have a good number.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My Versailles rear end is also 57.25 inches.

I'm thinking of doing an 8.8 in my '65 fastback and as another option I considered cutting off the ends and welding on 9 inch housing ends to get the right length and eliminate the c-clips.
I'm still welding in sheet metal, so it will be awhile before I take this on. Hopefully by then there will be more straight forward info on the earlier cars.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm up in the air right now about what to do.

I have a Versailles rearend already with axles but am missing the center section. So I would need to source and build one which from what I have seen will be pricey. In the $600+ range. I also have North Racecar brackets to run SN95 rear disc brakes of which I already have most of the parts.

Or, I could sell all of that and pick up an 8.8 and the extra axle for about $150 and have a buddy do the work of narrowing it and weld on the perches for about another $100-$200. Which would put extra cash in my hand and desirable options like 3.73s, LSD, and discs. The only down side is that this rear end will end up slightly shorter than stock. Which seems to be about 5/16" on each side (not much really.)

I'm torn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts