Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixing up a 1968 daily driver, 289, C4, open 8" diff with 2.70's.
History:
Owned the car for about a year, engine seems kinda stock rebuild (strong with great idle, fresh paint everywhere).
Have no idea on heads/cam, heads are iron.
PO installed https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-384015, looks nearly new, flex fan, no shroud, edelbrock intake+carb under a factory cleaner + stock points.
I have not noticed overheating, but have not driven it in full 110 degree heat yet.
Need it to stay cool and the AC to work..
Getting ready for an AC replacement, I am installing a stock style shroud with solid clutch fan.
Shroud would not bolt up (big surprise), so I pulled the rad, looks like I can mod the shroud to fit.

Question: Should I trust that radiator, or take the opportunity to change it? And to what?
Willing to put considerable $ if needed. Considering big block copper/brass 3 row, but open to all suggestions.
Will likely put an electric fan on the AC condenser, but it would be nice if I could close the gapps and have the engine fan pull through the condenser also.

Lee

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
As often stated, these cars did not overheat when they were new. I think a good shroud and clutch & fan assembly are all you will need. If you want to upgrade, I'd go to a big block 2 row radiator with appropriate shroud and fan.
Keep us informed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In my 68 mustang I put the champion 3row aluminum radiator. A seven blade big block fan and clutch and appropriate shroud from West coast classic cougar and I have had no issue at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
To my knowledge US Radiator is the only made in USA brand of 3 core copper/brass radiators. Summit does carry them. If I recall correctly, Summit has them drop shipped from the manufacturer in LA There are many "Hecho en China" brands of varying quality out there as well.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I would be careful with the current 3 row brass radiators being made. Old time VMFer "Jim" put a Chinese version in his 65 about 6 or 7 years ago... it lasted several hundred miles before the tank coming apart at the core. He then went with the Summit Aluminum version, no issues... I have a Modine 3 row radiator that I purchased in 1996 for my 66, it was made in america and while sitting on the shelff for 10 years while the car is apart held up to 10+ years of service (about 8,000 miles).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did some more research on Summit's website where someone asked where it is made... Apparently China.
According to dm289, he knows someone who has had no issues...
I can say the welds look good, it is nearly 3 inches thick, 3 rows of tubes, holes line up with my rad-core, will not take much to mod my shroud, If I replace it, it will be the wider big block one, so I will need a new shroud anyway.
Any other votes on trusting a chinese aluminum from summit?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That's a top quality radiator from Summit. It has done it's job so far. I doubt there's a reason to mistrust a Chinese-made part now. Obviously, it was made before the virus so it shouldn't be infected. But you can get it tested. Or, since money doesn't seem to be a problem, you can just replace it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts