Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a recalcitrant Aerostar. I took a minute to lean up against the workbench and regroup. Looked down to see a 2 foot long black snake happily wiggling through my feet. A real heart starter there. After recovering I grabbed him, stuffed him into my "dirty rag can" and gave him an invitation to the woods across the road.
I know why he was in there. He was after one of my family of toads that have taken up residence. I can't think of a single harmful thing a toad can get up to so I've let them stay. Anything that eats insects can't be too bad.
This led me to thinking of all the critters that reside (or try to) in my garage.
There's a family of sparrows that return every year. I never seem to discover them until the eggs are laid and then haven't go the heart to bother them. The occaisonal bird bomb isn't too bad, but I had getting dive-bombed when I go to the shop at night and flip on the lights.
Any insect you care to think of except hornets.
Neighbor's dogs often drop in, but only to visit.
I have come to an agreement with cats. They don't come into the garage and no one lights firecrackers. They are however welcome to sit in open doorways and keep an eye on things. Mice pop up once a year or so and then disappear again.
What kinds of critters do you guys have to put up with?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Mine is new, and up against the mountain wilderness, aside from a few wolf spiders I have had a teratula, (I am terrified of spiders) a scorpion, a few hornets and a neighborhood dog (who is the only thing allowed.) I did get a mouse but he decided to make resadence in the kitchean before I was able to relocate him.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Cat, the other white meat.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Mostly just transient field mice and moles. Over the winter they apparently made my old exhaust system their home. When I first started the car up I just bolted it back on until I got the new exhaust in. The first time it started there was mouse nest flying all over the garage. Didn't see any flying mice though!

Oh - and there was the groundhog who scared the s%^& out of me by hiding behind the compressor and making a dart for the door between my legs.

Frank

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
A baby diamondback rattlesnake came in Chuck's garage one night while we were working under Trouble. It had a BAD disposition!

·
Premium Member
19,198 Posts
I posted last November about my adventures with a "tree frog". Turned out it was the fire alarm battery low signal. :(

Got flies, spiders, and no-see-ums. Lots of frogs outside, but I don't let them in.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Nick caught a snake just yesterday in the garage, Josh got a big kick out of it. I'm glad I didnt find it. We have a few chickmunks that act like they own the place too. Dawn

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I've had a lot in the past few weeks alone. Aligator was across the street, turtles, birds, lizards of course, lots of frogs, and the occasional snake. Here is a picture I took the other day of a snake on the porch.

http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/121/121728/folders/81216/592947snake2.jpg

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
A Baby copperhead and one full grown Copper Head in Bridge City, Texas, termites and rafter rats (lived by a canal) in Concord, CA and water snake in New Orleans.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Had some sort of snake in my A/C unit I purchased used...he came out after i carried it into my garage to see what was going on. Freaked me out, I can do almost anything but snakes. Did allow him to stay long enough to decipher what type. Thought it was a hose, went over to pick it up to move it out of the way and then i saw the little tounge come out. Swept him out of the garage and then took the a/c outside into the grass to stay for a day.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
88# (Porsche) and 100# (Staark) German Shepards!::

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Just this spring, I mowed for the first time on the riding mower and a snake was on top of the deck, the blade belt barely nipped its head and killed it. I mowed was cleaning afterward and surprise!

Also, about a month later, I pull the cover off the wife's convertible and there is a 6 foot snake skin across the tranny tunnel.

Lastly, my shop is a steel building with "C" purlins, and I found another snake skin inside a purlin nearly 10 feet off the floor.

I am somewhat annoyed by snakes and want to "tighten up" my shop. I'm carefull when I pick something up or crawl under one of the cars!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Well let see, snake's , mice, cats, frogs,dog,rabbits, and a few humans that I would call animals . also have had :D a couple of deer in the shop yard but they normaly don't visit me in the garage. They look and leave.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Some interesting stuff posted here. I live way out in the sticks (7 miles to nearest town and quite a distance to any neighbors) so I have the usual deer (my youngest boy when he was about 5 or 6 found a baby deer when walking back from the pond after fishing one A.M. and promptly brought it home and into the house in the living room (yes, we have pics of that one)...imagine that surprise when we heard noise and got up! It had just been born so we took it back and it was okay) Many turkeys that come out pretty close to the shop at certain times of the year, they just get real bold for some reason. Have had a large copperhead (really gave me the willies) but he died of un-nautural causes, suddenly! Me and a copperhead ain't residing in the same barn for any reason. He was probably after the field mice that come in and chomp down on the chicken feed and bird feed my wife spills in there. Many years ago, I was working on an old vw bug I had kept around and I heard a noise and looked around and this cat that my wife had was a real hunter. She had a large black snake, really gave me a jump until I realized what it was, laying right beside my foot. Well, she had brought me her prize to admire, I covered it up with a bucket and left the edge up a little on a rock and a little later, it recovered and was ready to go so I took it to the edge of the woods and did the release. ::

·
Registered
286 Posts
I came home yesterday to find a bat flying around in my living room. Scared the snot out of me!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Just spiders for me, i guess if i moved around the garage more the cobwebs would disappear.
Snakes in the garage......eeewwwwwww !

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
While stationed at Edwards AFB - the ever present black widow spider. They were always found in the darndest places...picking up a socket from the bench with a visitor inside always makes the day interesting.
Dave

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Spiders for the most part. My former neighbors dog used to come in. Chocolate Lab, not small. I was doing some suspension work one day seeing how much on me I could fit in the wheel well when this dog stuck his nose right by my ear and snuffed. I think I dented the fender with the back of my head. He was spread out on all 4's hunched down tail wagging, with what I could only describe as a grin on his snout. I think he did it on purpose and was laughing at me.

My other neighbor sends his dog in on occasion as an excuse to come "fetch" her and check out what's going on :)

SprintCC

1 - 20 of 25 Posts