Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 68 out for a few short trips this weekend and finished working on some interior items. But when I was cleaning up, I found ball bearings all over the garage floor. The car seems to run and drive just fine and I haven't ever removed / replaced / repaired anything with ball bearings. Any ideas on where ball bearings could be coming from? So far I've found eight balls and they are 1/4 inch in diameter.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I had the same problem. If you can believe it. Mine came out of a floor jacks swival wheels. I was moving it to take someplace and they must have fallen out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
God I hope it's the jack. :: I would have never thought of that!

Can't wait to get home and check! Thanks

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I woudln't get too concerned about it. Every part I can think of that has ball bearings in it would definately let you know REAL FAST if it were missing the bearings. Also I can't think of a single part that if it were to loose it's bearings, they'd end up on the garage floor.

... oh, except for muffler bearings :: :D ::

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
And try as I might I can't think of a single bearing in the car that uses balls. Most are roller or needle bearings. Except the steering shaft bearing but they are much smaller!

Frank

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
"Come on guys, it's all ball bearings these days" G.Gordon Liddy aka Fletch

Check the Fetzer Valve. :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys- all good ideas and advice. Come to think of it, it just might be the muffler bearing or the Fetzer value. I forgot I hit a big rock a couple of weeks ago while we were out snipe hunting! Ya know how much they slow down in August. ::

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Neighbor playing tricks on you?

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Yea lubing those muffler bearings and checking the blinker fluid level are the hardest maintence jobs each fall before I put my pony away for the winter. :).

John Harvey

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yahooo! It's the jack! It's the jack! ::It's the jack and not my car!!! Hurray!

Oh wait a minute. It's my jack... just something else that needs fixed!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts