Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

I searched VMF but didn't get any hits regarding my question.
I need to remove the drive shaft to more easily replace the
front to rear brake line. The Ford shop manual states that
the splines of the drive shaft yoke should be lubricated with a specific Ford part # lubricant prior to insersion into the C-4. Ford further states that this is necessary to
prevent the trans fluid from 'washing away' this special
lubricant. Do I need to be concerned about this? And if so, what lubricant should I use?

G

·
0 Posts
That's certainly a new one on me too. I never heard of such a thing. I always thought the tranny fluid/grease lubricated those splines. There is a plug in the end of the yoke that prevents the tranny fluid/grease from coming out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Midlife:

1) Chapter 5 (Clutch & Drive Shaft)
2) Drive shaft installation section.

I'm at work now & don't have the manual in front of me but
I believe chapter 5 is clutch & drive shaft.

What were Ford engineers thinking back then?

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
That's wierd! It looks like there is a seal at the end of the yoke that goes into the tranny. I've never seen anything like that. If there was a seal, you would need to lube the yoke splines. All trannies have a rear seal as well, so that should be sufficient, with tranny fluid lubing the yoke splines without the interior seal as indicated.

I agree, what was Ford thinking? There's no way to install a yoke with a seal covering the entry side of the yoke! Must be some yokel engineer who came up with that idea....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts