Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SWMBO needed a new bug deflector on her Jeep so I sent her to a local place where all the Ricers, and kids with big 4 wheelers hang out. I figured they would have something like that there. Well she must have said something about her Stang and the owner (20 yr old?) tells her he can get anything I needed and that I should come in. Well I needed a couple things so I went there at lunch. As expected, there were a bunch of kids hanging around, nice kids really, very friendly. Of course the guy could only get the simple thing I could have gotten anywhere, but then he starts in on me because I haven`t been to his local car cruise and how I really won`t know what I`m doing without hanging with these guys and letting them show me the error of my ways ::
I tried to explain about this site and how I had the BEST car guys and gals in the world at my fingertips (literally)
He tries to tell me there`s nothing like actually talking to someone who`s done this stuff. I agree, but I already know people who have done it all! :: And that in an hour I could be at someones house and see what he (or she) has done. I told him I could have pics in 10 minutes...
I could tell I just wasn`t getting through to him.
Ah well, I`ve probably done as much or more than most of his buddies on SWMBO`s vert with the help of the VMF!!!
:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm coming close to giving up recommending the VMF to people. Nobody I have mentioned the VMF to has ever logged on - to my knowledge.

My theory is no one believes that an internet forum (or chatroom - like many people assume this to be) could be legit. Most people hear "Internet forum" or "bulletin board" and think bogus stock picks and pedophile training grounds. My own SWMBO banned me from the VMF Chat because of her pre-conception of chatrooms ::.

There's also the whole "computer geek" stigma. Those attitudes you saw - need to see someone in person - is probably another factor why people can't be recruited to the VMF.

For Example: Look at the guy who bought Bob's red fastback. He checked in once or twice, got a great response from the regulars, and hasn't really been back since.

Most of us found our way here on our own, I believe....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hey, I was a referral... best advice I ever followed!

Doug

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Where else would someone fly all the way up to Rhode Island from Florida just to jack up my car? Now that's service...

Slade

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. I get the impression the folks don't think much of internet help and I sometimes find their attitude a little insulting - as if I'm too stupid to determine what is BS and what's not.

Oh well, their loss.

Dean T

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get slammed for the damned Curse every time
Hey you helped me figure out my 2 speed wipers and no problems ::

1 - 10 of 10 Posts