Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I went out to my car today. Noticed battery was dead. No biggie. Call for a jump start. Look at my battery cables. They’re loose. I tighten them. Jump the car. It’s running pretty high idle. Pull the keys out. Car is still running. Have to ask the battery jump start guy to disconnect to kill the engine.

any idea how I should attempt to fix this?

No one tried stealing my car. I know what happened. It’s fixed. Sorry to spam up these forums up.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Disconnecting the battery/jumper cables shouldn't kill the engine. And why would you think someone is trying to steal your car?

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
Bad ignition solenoid or ignition switch. Happens sometimes, especially if overheated because battery cable or ground is loose creating more resistance / heat.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Probably a bad solenoid as others have mentioned. Been there, done that at least twice over 30+ years. Admittedly, the first time it happened it did freak me out a little. My car even started itself (starter engaged) after I turned it off (keys in hand) and shut the door behind me.

Dcubedus

·
Registered
922 Posts
Interesting. I had a solenoid continuously engage the starter even after turning the ignition switch off in my 68 Mustang. I was in high school at the time, but good thing I knew which cable needed to be pulled. I must have set a record for the mad dash from the drivers seat to opening the hood. One of those few times I'm good I didn't have a hood lock.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Your car probably has an old/ worn/ failing/ starter solenoid. Then the jump start guy hooked up a 24 volt 4000 amp jumper to it....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts