Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Yeah the corner worker looks too close, he's not a line judge, just there to stand cones back up right? He also doesn't have a 'safe spot' I always look for like a tree or pole to get behind, so too close.
Mustang_paul beat me to it, I was in grid at autocross behind a BMW with an LS6 swap and asked him 'how did you pass tech? your blinkers don't work?' he got it and said 'BMW'.

I did the same as you at last weekends autocross (OTM), overpowered the rear tires at the finish line, crossed the line sideways taking out 1 white cone but missing the timing lights on both sides by inches. They get really mad when you hit the timing lights...
Timing lights are $100 per side, payment due upon hitting them. They have never mentioned the cost of hitting the timing display at the drivers meetings but I'd imagine it would be significantly more.

A good course doesn't have a safe spot for a worker because there are no trees to hide behind. Safest for the car and driver. The course worker has to judge were trouble is most likely to occur and not stand there. Don't hang out close to the cone most often hit in that section because just before that cone is were the trouble starts!

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Based on his body language in the pictures, looks like he's had to step out of the way before.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Maybe he thinks of himself as a bull fighter?

Reactions: Mike the old grump

·
Registered
21,492 Posts
Reminds me of a Across event with @2nd 66 with dobrostang at a air force strip on NY. I over cooked a turn near the side of the course. I was concerned about t not going off the track and into the cornfield. Luckily I stayed on the pavement. Then I realized I hadn't hit any cones either and finished the course. Not that it mattered as I still sucked but I had fun

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,578 Posts

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
I signed up last minute for an autox at the Romulus airstrip my work station was up next to the tarmac similar to the original picture shown . We had 3 dry runs in the morning session And 3 very wet runs in the afternoon. My last run I got a bit loose and sidewazz but saved it

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I forgot to ask @Nailbender have you autoxed in the the rain 🌧 before? And was it on the 245/4017's and or tried them on the street in the rain?
My first set of 245/40/17's RE71's were aged out when mounted new and stunk. I'm sure my new Falken 660's would be good in the wet but the 331 saga got in the way of me proving that yesterday. They are super sticky for sure! They literally stuck to the 14 foot 2 x 12's I use as spacers on the scissor lift this morning until the car was a foot in the air and then let go and scared the crap out of me! I have autocrossed in the rain before with decent RE71's and I did as well as anybody else. The new Yokohama 200 treadwear tires are insane in the rain but don't last very long in the dry.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts