Vintage Mustang Forums banner

You scrounger you!

589 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MYTANG 
#1 ·
I'm always scrounging around looking for parts for my car or looking in barns and buildings. I read a nice article in this month's issue of Mustangs and Fords, page 93, about a guy in Columbus, Oh. who found a rare 1969 S code Boss 429 car in Akron. Once belonged to a dealer. To bad we all couldn't be so lucky. I look for the same thing though.

I found a '66 2+2 FB in a garage recently. The guy wants to sell it. It's a basket case though. I didn't have the money for it and it was in advanced stages of needing help. I already got two FB's. Anyway, I found a buyer for the car. I worked to get him pictures. There's no lights in this old garage. Mice, wasps, bees, dirt, oil, and no ventalation. I couldn't even get the garage door open because of all the junk in front of it. Mustang, Dodge, and Triumph parts abound in this old hot rodders lair. The guys 55 and just took an early forced retirement. After looking it over the frame and cab is in decent shape. The interior is still there. Fenders and hood are missing. Who knows when the 289 had last been warmed up. I believe it still runs, I've seen worse. (Ranting)

When I got home I sent the buyer the pictures I took. He probably won't be interested now. To bad. It's a shame to let it die that way. I got to thinking. If he wanted to buy the car, how are we going to get it to the street to load it? I don't feel like working this hard for two other people's benefit just because I love old Fords. What the heck is wrong with me?

The property is lined with fences and trees. The only way in is the drive. There are two '67 Chevy El' Caminos in the drive and a '70 FB. All in various stages of disassembly and reassembly. Can't get a flatbed in there. I would have to work my tail off to get the garage door open and get wheels on the car and inflate the tires and push it out into the sunlight for what? Then I would have to move several engine blocks, transmissions, and body panels just to push it to the drive. I might be able to push it around the other side of the house but that's a lot of work. I just pushed the last FB parts car I bought a 1/2 mile to get it home. I'm a big boy but I don't like pushing cars. It ain't no fun if it doesn't run I always say. Seems like they got to walk before they can run. Then I talk to people on the net looking for pristine parts. I think you got to work a little to really enjoy the results of your effort. No free rides here. This is shade tree hot roddin! Get a life.

The guy in the magazine article just drove up to the door lowered the ramp and hulled his car up on the ramp. Easy!

Wish I could be so lucky. Someday I'll have to tell you how I got my 'ol hoss. It was no picnic either. Am I just doing things the hard way again?

See less See more
#2 ·
ask the guy if he wants to sell everything, and if so just slowly work your way deeper inward, and take a cut of the profit.

Maybe you can work something out where you trade all of his stuff for a nice running project car that he can tinker with or something.

Who knows, but you shouldn't let it go to waste!

#3 ·
I also just read the 69 Boss 9 find...some guys just have the luck.

BTW, you should get some kind of star if in fact you do move heaven & earth at no cost to you regarding that FB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.