Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering how many young people out there own mustangs... iam only 17 and i dont know many people cose to me age liking old muscle cars... ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Hi Heather,

I'm a bit over twice your age, so I'm afraid I don't qualify (but thanks for reminding me). However, you might also consider, if you haven't already, the Mustang Young Owners Club.

Great to have you! It's always terrific to see that our classics still attract young buyers.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Welcome aboard, young whippersnapper! ;)

It's true that not a whole lot of the younger crowd are into cars from the 60s; but we do have our share here on the VMF. We need younger people to perpetuate the hobby.

I once read that was the reason behind the decline of Model T enthusiasm... The now 30/40/50 year olds were turned-on to the muscle cars and ignored the Ts. Those clubs are now mostly 60 & 70 year olds. The way things are going today, we'll all be in our 60s and 70s – still driving our muscle cars – while the new crowd of middle-agers are restoring their "classic" Civics. All the while complaining how the "kids" are only interested in their hovercrafts! :p

Find 'em; restore 'em; and drive 'em everyday! ;)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That brings up another point - Car Value!
"Older classics" have been leveling out "price wise", while muscle cars are going through the roof. It only makes sense. As a group's discretionary income rises, so does the value of their toys. My guess is that in about five years, our Stangs are going to level out and continue to grow only slowly. Even the 55-57 chebbys are leveling off, and are being passed by chebelles, camaros. If you want to be wealthy in your "golden years", buy some ricers now, and hold them for another twenty years.

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm 18 and I have a 68 coupe.

·
Registered
858 Posts
im 17, i had my 66FB, sold it, now i have a 90 GT :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm 17, and I love old cars, just about anything before '75 and I love it. I also own the car in my sig. pic

·
Registered
446 Posts
Young owners of the world UNITE.

I'm 16 with the Mach 1 I have had since I was 15.
At 13 we picked up my first stang, a 65 coupe, then sold it.
A few months later (still 13) we got another 65. Sold that.
Found the Mach 1 at age 15 and never looked back.

It is a great feeling to pull into the High School Parking lot and just see all the heads turn ::. Really makes the long nights working on it worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Don't know if I count anymore since I turned 20 three weeks ago and am no longer a teenager. I currently own three mustangs, bought the first when I turned 16. You should check out the YO Club as Steve said.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Got the coupe at 14, Now 17. Can't believe I've had it for three years...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm 16, and have been working on mustangs with my dad since I was 6. When I was 12 I bought my first mustang after selling my dirt bike for $1000. It's a 1967 GT Fastback, wasn't too pretty when I bought it though. The only original metal left in the car is the roof and the firewall.
Check out my website it covers the entire restoration.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/67greengt

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm 21 and I think i'm the oldest young guy so far. It's nice to see some of my generation has taste. I am lagging on that YMO club too. I'v had mine sine my 18th B-Day.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I've got the same problem. I'm 20 and I've had my car for 2 years now, but most people around here my age are into who's car is the newest and has the most gagets and gizmos. I also have the problem that most of the older crowd won't take me seriously cause I'm young so therefore I must know NOTHING about classic cars.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its even harder when you are a female :) i live in the nwburbs on IL for the guy who asked :) 17/f/IL.. i just bought my 71 mustang mach 1 *still seeing if its a real mach 1* on the fourth or july in KY... still learnin ... my dream car is a 1969 Boss 429.... butthe 71 mach 1 will do for now :)...thanks for all your replys

Heather

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
My son started helping his dad on our stangs when he was in junior high. They spent most weekends scrounging in the junk yards and chasing want ads. Then he drove a 67 I6 coupe through HS while working on restoration of a 66 289 coupe.
Now he has his restored 66 coupe, a 66 convertible, and drives a 86 hatchback 5.0 daily. He also drove an 85 LX 5.0 notchback for a while.
He joined the magazine's YO club and in just a couple of months won their monthly award.
Definitely worth joining, not only got his mug and cars in two magazines, but won an awesome JME gauge cluster set worth over $700.
However, next year he'll be too old for YO, turns 25. Can't believe he's had his 66 coupe for 11 years!
I've noticed not many YO's in our club with classics, most have Foxes or SN-95. Probably because easier to get financing or parents concerned about safety.
Although there are an abundance of us Old Farts at club doings, shows, and cruises. Still join in. Many of us Old Farts also have kids involved too.
My son would love to have GF who cared about his hobby. His present GF has NO interest and it keeps him from many of the events.

J.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sounds like she owns a chevy :) ... most guys dont go out with me because they feel intiminated because i love cars... seems like all the guys who love cars my age are taken and i am stuck with guys with no common intrests who never go drag racing with me or take me to car shows.... but oh well i just got my new mustang so that will do for now to keep me busy and happy

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love everything about old cars and going to hang out with "Old" guys, with old stories of old times. What I like bset is seeing young people who actually listen to that "Old Fart". I guess that I appriciate "Old" people, thier struggle and the hardships they endured. Not to get too carried away but most kids my age don't know what hard times are. I know I don't, I have see rough water, But nothing compared to my Grandparents' gen has seen. I guess it's all in your up-bringing. Anyways I love shows. ::

Sorry took a left at Albaqarkie !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts