Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replying to a post about MCA and how to draw in fresh blood. But I thought I would share my thoughts as a post, because it wasn't just about MCA and shows.

Guys, you are talking about shows. :( You think that kids are interested in shows, well, maybe a few. What they are interested in are the same things you were interested in, ie. opposite sex and having fun :: That's what these cars were intended for in the first place. I believe that what cut the fresh blood from Ts and As was that they started to just have shows and nothing else.

Instead of just polishing them, drive those cars and have fun and they will come. These are just old Fords.

Like this
Starting line of a closed special stage
http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/marko.kauppinen/funrun044.htm

A rival club
http://gamma.nic.fi/~ffcf/freakrace/raceresult.html

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Now THAT looks like fun for all ages (and sexes ::)
Reminds me of a check at an Enduro ::

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
So, where is the T&A in those links? ;) ;)

But seriously, have you ever seen a "ricer" event that didn't advertise a bikini contest? Check out some of the shows these guys cover: www.carandmodel.com

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I totally agree. I have been saying that for years. I'm 39 and I'm getting tired of some of these shows. They can be very boring. A lot of them don't go on a cruise, no poker run, you just sit there in the hot sun. I'm married but my wife knows i ant going anywhere, bring on the bikini contest. Old guys like looking at girls too. And the burnout contest. Maybe the local airport would let us drag one day a year (that is if you live in a small town with an airport thats not busy, like i do). Also i know rap music is a little hard for most of us, but we could played some modern top 40 at least, or classic rock. Alot of kids still like classic rock. Lets do it! It is time to have some fun!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm 19 years old. I work at a bodyshop that has restored many Mustangs & Shelbys. When I was 14 I bought a 67 Coupe to restore. I have been showing my car for three years since the restoration. I never see anyone my own age at shows. I am the only young person with a car at shows, and often times the older car owners aren't friendly to me due to my age.

They give out stupid trophys for the fist person to arrive etc. etc. but never for the youngest car owner or something of that nature.

I don't blame other young people for not going to car shows, because why would they want to waste their weekend sitting on a lawn chair with grandpa. I agree that changes have to be made. T&A would be a start. If young girls were there many young guys would follow.

Monster Garage is also getting kids interested in building "anything". We need something like that to get kids interested in restoring and showing vehicles. T.V. shows about cars have come a long way since Shadetree Mechanic from my childhood. haha but what do I know.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Monster Garage is also getting kids interested in building "anything". We need something like that to get kids interested in restoring and showing vehicles. T.V. shows about cars have come a long way since Shadetree Mechanic from my childhood. haha but what do I know.
Sounds like you know your generation and what is needed.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Two other factors at work - comfort and economics. Its a lot cheaper and more comfortable to buy a three year old Civic with fuel injection, A/C, good brakes, power steering and windows, sport seats, etc. and then modify it a little for the "import" shows. It is totally different when you get a '66 coupe with no air, no power, drum brakes, no safety features, etc. and then have to spend a lot of money just to get it reliable.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yeah, but its so much cooler. I would rather have taken the bus than drive an Acord in highschool. It may sound silly but I have my principles. :p

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never see anyone my own age at shows. I am the only young person with a car at shows, and often times the older car owners aren't friendly to me due to my age.

I don't blame other young people for not going to car shows, because why would they want to waste their weekend sitting on a lawn chair with grandpa. I agree that changes have to be made. T&A would be a start. If young girls were there many young guys would follow.
1) I try to look out for stray young hobbyists but too often I just hang out with the friends I already have. But I do solemnly swear that I will talk to 10 more young hobbyists next 12 months than previous 12 months and show some interest in their cars, whether beat up Valiant or daddy's money Corvette.

2) See, I can still remember how it was and from there reason that it still is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts