Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys had to bring this up again. I still need some advise. Here is some more background info on my last post. The reason I took my car to the shop was because a guy that works in the same building as me had a 68 Fastback w/ a 390 that was going to the Barrett Jackson auction. He took it in for small touch up three days before the auction. His car was valued at 23k so I figured well if they took care of that order then mine should be a snap. So I went over had an estimate done and a week later I had the car stripped and at their shop. They had two other Mustangs ahead of me but assured me that they could handle the work. I told them if they were too busy I could bring the car back when they had room. But no they had plenty of room. Right! I gave them 2/3 of the cost up front their policy so what should I do? !) I could try to stay on their good side and complain when they are done. 2) Try and fight with them now for both my money and car, and try to find a "Good shop" to finish the job. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
After reading your first post Rant - Part I , I'd be going by every day to check on my car (ie - is it outside?) and complain if no futher work has been done - be the squeaky wheel.

If your a total PITA and there every day (or alternate calling and showing up each day) they'll get to yourt car just to get rid of you.

You could take your car and demand payback for work not done, but I suspect that would be a bigger PITA (unless you have an attorney in the family to write a scathing demand letter).

Good luck

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm PITA, that is something I can be great at but what do you think will happen to the quaility. The time sucks but I would rather have it done right the first time. I do have an Uncle who is an Att. but that sounds like a huge PITA to me. Ohh thanks for putting that link up btw. ;)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Well, when your there everyday, if you see problems with the quality you can addresss them during the process rather than after everything is *&%$'d up. ::

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, I like that idea plus my parents have been calling me a PITA for years now so I am a seasoned veteran ::

K

·
0 Posts
Yeah the options aren't great are they?
My suggestion is show up every other day with a smile on your face asking about your car. Say nice things about how you know they'll do good work since you've seen your friends car. Stroke them but stay on them.Then of course after you are totally satisfied, not the day you pick it up but after you check the work out, then let them know you will not be frequenting their business again. And make a point you would have brought them other business.
Just my suggestion.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If it were me I would be in there demanding my money back. If they didn't give it back, I'd be contacting your local Better Business Bureau. Plus, let every customer in the shop know what kind of a place they were at. I had a bad experience with my car having to get fixed at the other motorists insurance place of choosing. The Carstar dealer did a poor job, and could have cared less about my wishes for a perfect car. The rear bumper (it was a Jetta) was sticking out after they were finished, and I asked them what was up with that. He said, " I dunno. That's as far as we could get it in. It does look kind of funny." ARRRGGHHHH! Never again....

·
Administrator
19,500 Posts
I'd be a real PITA to them (and I'm good at that), check on the car as much as possible, and start demanding interest on that payment you made since they haven't done anything yet except make a mess of your car.

If you know of another good place it might be worth changing shops.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'd get my money back, invest in some good tools, and do the work myself. Make sure you use a GM product for the first try at cutting and welding though.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
My recommendations:
1. Start looking right now for someone else to paint the car. If you have to pull the car out, you don't want it sitting for awhile until somebody else can get to it.

2. Once you've found antoehr place, go back and NICELY ask for your car and money back. State that it's too much of a burden on them to do as they have promised, and you've found someone else who can do the work. You'll either get your car back or you'll move to the front of the line!

These guys DON'T like giving money back (boy, I sure would hate it!) and they don't like losing potential business. But, if they got the guys 390 car in for a quick job then they have no problems making the rest of their customers wait while they do other work.

I don't think you want to be a PITA, then they'll get it done in the allocated time and it won't be pretty. However, you understand that your work is not a priority for them, and you have found somebody who will make it a priority. As long as you're a snot nosed kid they'll think they can push you around.

Good luck,
Dave :D

·
Registered
938 Posts
Let me understand this...everytime you go there you hae a gripe..legitimate as it is
You are still going there and have gripes..legitimate as they are
Skip to the future..... you went there and had a gripe, or two or threee!!!
NOW realize you will no way be satisfied with whatever work they do. You are very picky(rightfully so, so far) and you are wxpecting work at a level I don't feel you were willing to pay for. Take you car and go someplace else. You are not going to get any maoney back when you ask for it(if you want it back, Buster, sue me). Be sure to tell the next shop you want an excellent job by YOUR standards or you waont' be doing your work(lots of luck)
You like being a PITA but don't go for having to take a PITA..well get ready..can't have it both ways.
2nd choice..go there daily and pitch your gripes..pay the final bill and take it court. With good pics you'll get your money back, maybe all of it and probably have a paint job msot of us would say was just fine for the money for free....
We'll look forward to more of your horror stories but truely hope something goes smooth for you...

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
After rereading your previous post, I have to wonder. You said it was sanded down, but not yet taken to bare metal. Why would they do that? If you're going to take it to bare metal, you don't waste a smooth sand job. Sounds like your expectations may be more than what they intend??? Also sounds like they are intending to just shoot it. If you thought you were paying for a bare metal paint job, ask him about that.

As long as you just keep going in and snipping, or griping, at them you're not much more bothersome than a pesky fly they can shoo away. Just sit down with the mgr, tell him you're not a bit satisfied with the way he runs his business, and ask him what your options are. If they've done some work already, they will have a right to receive compensation. Perhaps you can reach an agreement on monies changing hands to take the car away. Personally, I wouldn't let the SOB touch it again, and would have taken the car when I found greasy chips on the leather seats while sitting outside with the windows down.

You'd best learn how to deal with these kinds of people now. If you think a car is bad, wait until you have some construction work or home remodeling done and deal with a dozen folks who don't care. They rarely show up on time, do a crappy job (unless you're there to watch them every minute), go days without showing up, leave the job unfinished, and don't clean up after themselves. Note: for those who do this kind of work for a living, please know that a GOOD contractor is immensly appreciated...

I built a swimming pool a couple of years ago, and dealt with about a dozen contractors. Be upfront, be firm, be fair. Let them know what you want, and how you want it done. Accept nothing less. If they don't like it, tell them to hit the road, and mean it. The same goes for body shops. Be fair, and look at their position. If you feel they are jacking you around, tell them. If they don't straighten out, go someplace else. Life is too short!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well we talked all about the job they were supose to do and the job they are doing and we are on the same page. I told them from the word go that I wanted certain things done and if it cost more so be it. I am not looking for free work. I want top quality and they said they could deliver. They showed me a portfolio and they have worked on all kinds of Rods and Customs plus the two other mustangs in the shop right now. As for the sanding the paint they are taking it down to bare metal but probably knew that it was going to sit outside and didn't want to repair more rust. So sanded down as far as tell could for now.

·
Registered
466 Posts
if its not supposed to be outside in the first place then whats the point of not taking it to metal??? nothing should bother it if its inside like it should be. when you visit them, take a camera with you. dont let them see it until you see a prob, take a picture of it and keep record of everything that is being done to your car that is not supposed to be done. if what you talked about is in writing then you have very good ammunition with you but if you 'talked' about it, then you just might be screwed but im not a lawyer so i dont know. but i would keep on top of them and make them do the work as they said they would.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Having been in a similar situation... I sat down with the owner one on one and had a nice open chat. It was a two way conversation. I realized that I was part of the problem. I had not given them clear direction. They felt that I was changing my mind at every turn. I was not, but the way I was asking their opinion made it seem so.

Sit down over a cup of coffe and talk. DO NOT get pissy.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You must be firm but business-like with them. 2/3 up front is BS I don't care what the work content is. Make it clear that you are flexible but you will take 'em to court if you have to, and write a few certified letters documenting the problem and discussion just to let them know you are serious, including what action you will take if A, B, and C doesn't happen by the agreed date - this is how business works. Might seem overboard but if they fall down again, what are you going to tell the judge, we talked?, he promised? his word against yours - you loose.

Picking the shop is so critical. 1/3 of them will screw you if you let them - similar to tenants. They could care less about you and your property, especially if they think they can get away with it - and they do!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts