Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm about to change the coolant and swap the T/S for a 195º in my '65.
What is the least messy, in terms of coolant flowing everywhere that anyone of my comrades here have experience?

Hint...... My first thoughts are to get the beast up high and place a deep wide tub beneath the front to catch the coolant as it flows in all of those directions we know it will.
Also, was going to start by removing the Rad valve, in my case, an anode plug.
What are your ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
Put a long tube over the end of the fitting...it will drain nice and neat.

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I put a radiator pet **** in the left front engine block plug....at least it makes it easy to drain the block! I would think if you raised it from the rear a little more would drain out and you could do it without making too big a mess.Hose it all down when done as we wouldn't want any poor critters slurping up spilled antifreeze.

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put a long tube over the end of the fitting...it will drain nice and neat.
Thanks for the reply, I don't have the Pet****, that is, the "tube" you mention. I replaced it a number of years ago with an anode plug to combat electrolysis between the copper, brass, aluminum and the steel.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
So loosen a bottom radiator hose connection instead.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
I love how this filter is starring out the four letters in pet-c-o-c-k. My aluminum rad installed with that drain in an impossible position to open. So I drain my rad by slowly peeling back the lower hose. Then insert a punch awl under the lip and let it drain slowly into a bucket. Benefit of doing it this way is that it also drains enough out of the pump & block that you can do thermostat and manifold work without tons of coolant flowing out everywhere ?

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love how this filter is starring out the four letters in pet-c-o-c-k. My aluminum rad installed with that drain in an impossible position to open. So I drain my rad by slowly peeling back the lower hose. Then insert a punch awl under the lip and let it drain slowly into a bucket. Benefit of doing it this way is that it also drains enough out of the pump & block that you can do thermostat and manifold work without tons of coolant flowing out everywhere ?
Thanks, i like that approach.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,916 Posts
I just fold a piece of aluminum foil into kind of a cone and direct the coolant down into a bucket under the car as I loosen the petcock... never spills and doesn't require nearly as much effort as removing hoses or anything.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I went to WalMart and picked up a rectangular, plastic storage bin that's about 16"x24"x16" tall.
Raise the car up high enough to get the box underneath the radiator.
Pop off the lower hose and all of the mess will be contained in the box.
Over the years I tried different sizes of buckets, but none work like the box.
I saw Edd use it on 'Wheeler Dealers' and decided to try it out. It works.

·
Registered
10,944 Posts
I went to WalMart and picked up a rectangular, plastic storage bin that's about 16"x24"x16" tall.
Raise the car up high enough to get the box underneath the radiator.
Pop off the lower hose and all of the mess will be contained in the box.
Over the years I tried different sizes of buckets, but none work like the box.
I saw Edd use it on 'Wheeler Dealers' and decided to try it out. It works.
Edd China is The Man!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts