Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question hasn't been asked lately.

What is your most favorite memory in your Mustang (current or older)?

Mine goes back to around 1974 when I out-ran a 390 Galaxy in my 65 289 Mustang in front of a lot of people "cruzing" the local strip. The guy had been after me for awhile & I finally gave into him. I figured he would totally blow me away with the 390, but I out ran him in about a 1/4 mile street.

·
Registered
562 Posts
This is a recent one. While at SAAC 29 this year in Michigan, Mr Shelby walked up and asked if any of us would like a picture taken with him and our cars. Needless to say I jumped at the chance. He is a very nice guy. ::
http://www.njsr.org/pics/albums/userpics/normal_Shelby%20And%20Me.jpg

·
Registered
881 Posts
Well it would be a toss up between the first time I fired up that mean ole 428 scj or the last time I drove it, which was yesterday!! :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
One of mine is when I had a grudge race at the drag strip with my Pro Steet 64 1/2 Mustang. A 69 Camero from Atlanta came down to our local dragstrip with his big bad 498 cubic inch big block motor to take on my little 351 Cleveland small block. I enjoyed spending his $1000.00 after I sent him home crying! :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Mine was Friday nite after finally getting it back from my mechanic after 3 1/2 fricking months!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Good question. How do you pick just one? None can compare to Dt Frank Bullitt's. Lets see.....The first time I saw it when it was delivered, rasslin' with my girl in the back seat, taking it on our honeymoon, running my first 11 second ET, seeing it looking like a brand new 35 year old car after the restoration, or smoking that girl in her new Corvette last week. I can't decide......

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Mine came in the first 69 Mach 1 I had. There was a guy that always wanted to race me. One day he pulled up beside me at a stop light and reved is engine. I thought it was time to kick his butt. I looked in my rear view mirror and low and behold 3 cars back was a police car. I reved my engine to let this guy know I was ready. When the light turned green he burned his tires and I turned the corner. I went around the block and about 5 blocks up the street they had him pulled over. I just drove by and honked my horn. To me that was better than kicking his butt.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
for me its' an easy choice..back in 1970..I took my then wife to the hospital in our '69 coupe..where she gave birth to our son..Damn that was a long time ago..he now has two sons of his own making me a proud Grandpop.. ::

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
It's hard to say with my coupe, there are so many. Not necessarily my favorite, but probably my most memorable, was driving the car late one night in a snowstorm in Cincinnati going up Dixmyth Hill Road back to the University. It was sheet ice and the hill is very steep with parking on both sides, and the road is curvy. If I had slowed at all, I would have slid into a car and been unable to get up the hill, which was the only way to get back to where I lived. At the top of the hill is a stoplight and a steep, curve to the right. Murphy held traction all the way and I made it up the impossible road and back to my place going around all the locals who didn't know how to drive on ice and snow. I had to avoid a whole bunch of stuck cars by cutting through a parking lot that had a least a foot of snow in it. The university was closed the next day because no one could get up the hill. ::

My favorite memory in my fastback was the day we first fired up the 390--sweet! ::

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
My favorite memory was about 1980-81 when my kids were little. We lived in Denver (Littleton), and used to take the kids to the drive-in movie across Santa Fe Drive from Cinderella City. We would have the kids in their pajamas, armed with pillows and blankets. With the Mustangs rear seatback folded down, the kids had a great place to lay back and watch the movie while propped up with pillows. If they got tired, they just went to sleep. When we got home, we'd just carry them to their bedrooms and tuck them in. Also, when my daughter was older, I taught her to drive a stick using the Mustang. Yeah, those were good times, and great memories!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Two come to mind for me. I recieved my 67 fastback as a graduation gift from my father. It wasn't running, but I still loved it. 'C' 289, I had it bored .030 over, port & polished the heads, medium cam, High rise Weiand manifold, 600 Holly 4 barrel, hooker headers, 40 series flow masters... The list goes on :). When I started her up for the first time... I got goosebumps.

The other was shortly after. I'd never really opened her up, because I wanted to break the block back in after sitting for so long. I'm just going for a cruise with the g/f when this pesky little fox body starts following me, inticing me to race. I was nervous becaue I didn't want to lose in front of her, but I figured what the hell. Good chance to see what my 'stang could do, and it was late, so there was absolutely no traffic. Light turned green, and I floored it for the very first time. More goosebumps, as my g/f literally turned around and asked, "Where'd he go?". :). When he caught up at the next light he asked, "What the hell have you got under there?" When I shrugged and told him a 289 the look on his face was priceless... God I can't wait to get her running again.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mine came in the first 69 Mach 1 I had. There was a guy that always wanted to race me. One day he pulled up beside me at a stop light and reved is engine. I thought it was time to kick his butt. I looked in my rear view mirror and low and behold 3 cars back was a police car. I reved my engine to let this guy know I was ready. When the light turned green he burned his tires and I turned the corner. I went around the block and about 5 blocks up the street they had him pulled over. I just drove by and honked my horn. To me that was better than kicking his butt.

haha thats a good one! ::

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
It would have to be firing the Mustang up with the new header installed. Removing the old cast iron manifold took about two weeks. I got the new header on after a few days. When I finally started the Mustang after those long weeks, hearing that open header made me smile. :: The drive to the exhaust shop was great. ;)

·
Registered
721 Posts
A few months ago, just before school let out for the summer, my oldest daughter Hannah was in Senior Kindergarten. They had class every-other-day and on her day off we drove past her school in my fastback, just the two of us out for a drive around town.

It just so happened that it was recess time. As we passed the playground a bunch of kids yelled out "cool car!" and "Mustang!" Hannah looked over at me and beamed. At that moment she knew she was the coolest little kid in the school.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My fondest memory would have to be when i got mine shortly after my 16th birthday party. I've been around this car since i was born, i would sit in it and pretend to drive in my grandpa's garage when i was a small boy. Always knowing that someday it would be mine. Finally I got it, and the first time i drove it i could help but smile the whole way. I love her. I've had fights along the way and threatened to sell it on more than one occassion, but i couldn't ever bring myself to do it. Its more than just my car, its part of who i am. Driving it for the first time will always be my fondest memory.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i haven't been with out a mustang in 17 years.. theres just too many memories to choose from...... but i think the best was just a few months ago driving the mach1 to the 40th show in nashville with my in her 2000 mustang right with me. we put both cars in the show... just to be part of something that big was awsome!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I can't talk about my favorite memory on this site...but I do recall Saturday nights in 1971 when about 40 cars would meet at the pizza place in Casselberry, Fl about 11pm. We'd all go out to a deserted 2-lane and race until 3am. We did this for many months until someone ratted us out. About 10 troopers showed up and lined us up along the street to read us the riot act. The only thing that saved us was that they didn't want the paperwork that comes with hauling in 50+ teenagers for drag racing. But we lost our favorite midnight racing strip.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Overall, getting the car back in shape (almost) in two months after a good crash at my favorite track in 2000 and being able to participate in our annual Fun Run.

This year favorite must be winning our seven special stage club "rally", three stages on tarmac and four on gravel.
http://www.mustangclub.fi/digi/fr2004/fr04_winners.jpg
Finally a trophy to challenge winners' egos.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
My Shelby used to have a head gasket problem. I'd feel it losing power, and see it in the radiator (no water). So, about once a month, I had to get home from work, and change the head gaskets on one side or the other. Get off work at 3:30, drive home, pull one head, change the gasket, put it all back together, fire it up, wash the car, shower and go cruise.
I met my future wife cruising after one of those episodes.
Having Mr Shelby sit in my car to autograph it the year he drove the Viper pace car at the Indy 500. He showed up one week before Indy at the Indiana SAAC "Spring Fling".
Or, how bored I was at the Ford Motorsports Club Nationals in June of 1971. This was at the Ford Dearborn test track. So I entered in the offroad event. Really, it was just an autocross on grass, with just one mudhole. I got through that, pissing off all the guys with their early Broncos.
Or racing all these 390 Mustangs, never got beat.
Or working a club autocross. I'd never enter in a club event that I worked in. Taking a verbal beating from some clown in a 68 Gt 350. After the event I ran the course 1/2 second faster than he did. That shut him up
Or having the car sit apart in my dads garage for 13 years. He never said anything about it.
Just way too many memories to decide which one is the best.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts