Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope all of you SoCal people are OK along with your familys, pets and ponies.

Craig

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I share the concern for the safety of you and your families in southern California.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Thanks, guys.

It'd be great to hear from "Blistic" - he's in Ramona, which I believe was completely evacuated a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Keeping you Socal guys in my thoughts and prayers. Has anyone heard from ABADTB2 aka Mark??

I hope he's ok :(

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks, OK here. Quite a way from the fires and away from the fuel. Getting hard to breath the last few days with all the smoke and ash in the air. I work in Santa Monica and we had trouble today with the AC system. We think the ash is making them less effective. I work in radio and electronic gear and heat do not mix. Hope everyone near the fires are safe and at home.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
You guys in the smoky areas should pay special attention to the air filters in your cars. I moved to Anchorage, AK in 1992 about a month after Mt. Spurr erupted and dumped about an inch of ash on Anchorage. Lots of engine problems from that.

Frank

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Good point, Frank - thanks for the tip.
We watched the Arrowhead fire from our balcony the night before last, and even though it's still quite a ways from us, it was pretty disconcerting, being able to actually watch its progress down the mountainside, and very clearly see the large flare-ups.
We had several fires that came within a block or two of the house last year, but they were no where near this size.
Just heard a friend of mine lost his vacation home up in Arrowhead on Monday; he's had it for something like 25 or 30 years...

·
Registered
190 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!! Thanks guys!!! im near the Lake Arrowhead.. ! :(
I thought I was going to see a repeat of the fires we had a few years back!!!
You guys are great!!!

Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I have lived in So Cal all my life except for two years going to school in Arkansas.

It is NOT the same place I grew up in. October Santa Ana winds would come and go. Sometimes a fire would occur, but usually not. Now we have fires just about every year. The number of fires started by COMPLETE IDIOTS THAT SHOULD BE BURNED AT THE STAKE is scary. The Santiago fire that is still burning is an example.

A lot more people live here, obviously, in densely packed developments that are have encroached on wilderness areas. As a result, many homes burn...I can't imagine what that must be like.

I live in the hills right next to the Santa Ana Mountain range. Before 1989, the area I live in was open wilderness. Thankfully, nothing happened in my area.

I'm thinking about buying some of that spray-on fire retardant and getting one of those gasoline engine fire hose pumps that can be put into my pool to spray water on my house.

On a different note, the air in So Cal is sooooooo much cleaner than it used to be in the 60s, 70s and 80s (at least it was before last week). Yet, we have people in leadership positions that create a big stir about our "poor air quality". What a joke...I can't remember that last stage 3 smog alert! It's never good enough for some people...just an excuse for more taxes, right?

·
Registered
485 Posts
We were evacuated for three days, and the fires got to within about a mile of the house. Man, the air quality was terrible. I admit I left the '71 in the garage and took my CL55 AMG to a safer location. I hope the Mustang gods do not punish me for my transgression! Now cleaning everything. But at least it is all still there.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Well to say I was in the middle of HELL is an understatement. Some were actually in it.

I saw the fire whip up sunday morning. My wife called and told me she could see the fire at Barona.
Then a buddy came over and we went to look . We went up on Old Julian highway to see if a friend needed to evac his cobra.
We talked to a neighbor and he said the moment that fire hits the canyon the family is outta there. At that moment it should have clicked.
Well the fires danced down towards Ramona. The winds began to howl. I would say in the upper 50 to 60 knot range. The canyons seems to accelerate the wind...click number two.
Then as I lay there that night with one eye open watch the fire dance across the canyon 1.5 miles away...it should have been click number three.
At 4 am. I woke to the flickering reflection on the mirror. The dresser mirror is situated so I can see the sun rise in the morning. It was also in the direction of the fire.
I watched as the flames grew up to at least 40 feet across the canyon.
At 4 am I also received a call from the relatives that lived down in High land valley area. Some 12 miles from us.
They wanted us to evac to them last night. I looked at the winds and the direction if the fire and said...we are fine.
Well We were fine. The relatives were not. I watched as the flames danced on the ridge and coordinated where the flames were in relation to the town of Ramona.
It looked like the Eastern rim.
Then at 4:44am I got a call from my wife's cousin. The phone went dead. We looked at the news and saw the evac areas. One was bandy canyon...and the news was at the Ramona Airport.
They were doing a story on why the planes were not flying. The winds were clocked at 65mph and that is not good for flying.
At that moment a big wall of flame rolled over the hill towards the airport. Even the news reporter was freaked out!
CLICK! Oh crap the relatives are in a bad spot.
We attempted to call...no cell service.
I told the wife the fire was heading towards them we need to go get them. Our drive to high land valley was as if we were out running the fire and flames.
The last turn of high land valley was almost sideways. (this road is famous for its curves)
We enter the gates and the front two 10 acre homes are gone...just gone. Scorched black earth. Then were crest the hill and dodge a power line. Two homes to the left are still buring. We see one on the right still standing and that gives us hope. But the next 100 feet down the road is very disturbing.
I come to a sliding stop at the top of the drive. A drive that was decorated with plants and palms. Almost like you were driving out of the brush land into an oasis.
At that point there was no reason to see anything more. I didn't see the navigator and the truck in the driveway. The Resort as I called it was reduced to rubble.
At this time a cop pulls up behind us. He says they rescued an old man ,two girls and a dog from the area.
The descriptions didn't fit. With the cars gone I am thinking that call at 4 am was them taking off.
Well it wasn't.
The call was the relatives giving there last good byes..unfortunately their son down in San Diego received the only call from them.
This all is told to US later.
At that point I attempt to open the door of the truck and get out. The winds are still up in speed. I could barely get the door open. I am not a weakling by any means. It felt like I was trying to push a truck in park. I wanted a bit of a closer look. At that point a cop pulls up and says it isn't very safe the fire is coming back around. I get back in and we haul butt outta there. The fire is now setting the guard rails on fire.
The fire reflashed and managed to burn two other houses down. Leaving only 3 out of 10 houses in the entire valley standing.
Well on our way back into town I thought about the phone call. Well maybe they managed to get out and are at a friends in Ramona.
We drive by and see the cousins scorched imprezza.
Once we hit the door we can see they made it.
The fire over took the hill at 5 am. The winds and the fire created its own weather system in the valley. They managed to get to the pool and hide out there for 2 hours. The fire burned up everything around them and this allowed fire fighters to get to them. Even upon rescue they danced around the flames.
They managed to get out of the house with the clothes on their backs.
The place is scorched. The navigator and the truck never got out of the garage. The roof caved in on them. The trucks were almost flat.
It got so hot around the pool the tile was popping.
IT has been a long week.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
WOW! All those things can be replaced. I am co glad everyone is safe!

If there is anything a fellow VMFer from Southern Utah can do, just ask. I live in the country in a canyon in a fire zone as well and two years ago we had a scare. Three years ago before we built the house they had to evac our area. So, if you guys need anything, let me know!

Mel

·
Registered
915 Posts
My sister and my brother and his wife are next door neighbors in Silverado Canyon, they are still under mandatory evacuation. The fire is still burning there. Hopefully they can get it fully contained and out before the Santa Ana Winds kick up again at the end of the week.

Pete, I'm glad to hear that your family made it through this ordeal ok. I told your story to my office mate and he said, "wow, I heard about that story of the couple jumping in the pool on the news". So, I guess your in-laws are celebrities of some sort!

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
The story was broadcast here in Tucson, too.

·
4,129 Posts
I have to agree with you Tracy, the Santa Ana winds would come up in the fall, maybe knock down some fences. But that was about it.

The number of fires started by COMPLETE IDIOTS THAT SHOULD BE BURNED AT THE STAKE is scary.
I have to disagree with you on this. I see no need for a stake, just douse them in gasoline and lite'em up. Let them run around. Should be broadcast on TV as well. Start a fire and this is your punishment. fd

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
JMCooper said:
My sister and my brother and his wife are next door neighbors in Silverado Canyon, they are still under mandatory evacuation. The fire is still burning there. Hopefully they can get it fully contained and out before the Santa Ana Winds kick up again at the end of the week.

Pete, I'm glad to hear that your family made it through this ordeal ok. I told your story to my office mate and he said, "wow, I heard about that story of the couple jumping in the pool on the news". So, I guess your in-laws are celebrities of some sort!

Yeah I saw that story on the news also. That was another couple in Escondido. Same wave of the fire storm just a bit farther down the canyon.
It seems that two home owners had seen the priority of having a pool. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts