Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll be painting my 66 coupe Tahoe Turquoise. The interior is currently black, but I want to change it to something I consider more attractive. I have eliminated the idea changing over to a pony interior because it cost $1,000 or more to do it correctly.

The D7 interior is parchment with aqua accents. But the aqua accents only include the dash pad and trim and the carpet. After looking at several interiors on the web I've developed this scheme just based on what I think will look good,,,,,,

The seats, door panels, arm rest, console, metal dash, steering column and wheel will be parchment.

The carpet, dashpad and trim, metal door, inner quarter and package tray will be aqua.

This is almost the D7 interior, but the doors will be two tone with aqua metal and parchment inserts, a lot like the pony two tones were done. I'll probably use the pony style kick panels so I can continue the aqua down low from the door and carpet and have the parchment on the upper part to continue the parchment from the door insert to the painted dash. To my thinking this should look pretty natural. Maybe not exactly correct, but very close and attractive.

What are your honest opinions?

66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I like the sound of it. Can't blame you for steering away from the Pony Interior, with the restored wheel, new door panels,Glove box door, console, lights,etc. I'll have over $1100 in it and it's still almost all Black.

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
If you're not going to stay original why not go with a white interior? I'm not sure if those colors will look good together or not. I don't think they will, but I'd have to wait and see.....

BTW, I'm not sure white is even an option.....

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html

G

·
0 Posts
I have seen a few very nice cars trimmed out like you describe. My daughter thinks the combo looks like a boat. I happen to love aqua cars.

68 California Special- Acapulco Blue- Will someone please sell me one Marchal fog lamp lense?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If originality is not real important, I think that the 2-tone interior set-up is great looking. I'm familiar with the ivy gold / white interior and while I'm not crazy about ivy gold, when you add the white appointments and mustang interior layout, it makes a striking interior. I agree with you that you should do the pony kick panel carpet and chrome trim to carry the door colors onto the kick panel.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Ivy Green with Ivy Gold & White Deluxe Interior
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571514&a=11942607&p=42928766.jpg

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to paint the car a original 66 color. I leaned towards sliver-blue for a while, but finally decided I liked tahoe turquoise best of all the 66 colors. I'm also partial to the darker 65 turquoise color, but hey, that was 65.

66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I like black interior. So there....

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wondered some if the chrome strips on the kick panel might look strange since the door won't have any chrome trim on it like the ponies had. But I think I'll do it , see what it looks like, and then if it does look out of place I can always sandblast the chrome strip and paint it aqua.

66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I went non-factory 2-tone standard interior on my 66 (blue & black to match the exterior scheme), and I'm still loving it. It's a bit flashier than any standard non-pony scheme, yet it still looks completely vintage. I get lots of comments on it, but I wonder how it would go over in any kind of MCA judged class?

What color headliner and windlass you going with? Parchment? Aqua? Either would look great in your proposed scheme.

DanM

66 Coupe, check her out at [url]www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com[/url]

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Hey, I think it sounds great!

As you know I will be doing it very similar. I'm going with the Tahoe Turquoise(original color, wife's choice) and the D7 Parchment interior. I will be keeping it closer to the way it came from the factory.

I think your idea sounds great, I thought about going that route, and who knows... I may still, but I've decided to put off my final decission until after the Knotts Show in So. Cal. next month. I'm hoping to find another 66 at the show done the same way. I will be taking a lot of photos this year.

Doug Whisenant

[color:red]VMF Exchange Board</font color=red>

G

·
0 Posts
Honestly, if you really want the two-tone look, spend the cash and do the two-tone Pony Interior. It just won't look "right" if you don't.

I just finished the interior in my father in-laws '66 convertible with the Lt. Blue/White Pony. It looks awesome! BTW, the car is Nightmist Blue.

Otherwise I would go with the all white interior. I have the all-white interior in my Vintage Burgundy '65 convertible. It was originally a black interior car. The contrast of a dark car with the all white interior really makes the car stand out in the crowd.

There's the opinion, now do what you want. Isn't this great!?

Todd Smith
[email protected]
http://toddsixty5.stangnet.com

'65 Convertible 289-4V, Vintage Burgundy / White
'89 LX 5.0 (215,000 miles and still kicking)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts