Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
D8C38A70-4DFB-4656-A5B2-E96EFB6EEA8A.jpeg
C3AD5F80-ECEE-4E9E-B181-4F179714D4D2.jpeg
1965-66 low profile street-competition engine crossmember

low profile crossmember. Will provide an additional one inch of ground clearance vs. our original crossmember and made of the same high quality materials. 100% USA steel and USA manufactured.

$224.95 base model
$244.95 With integral jackpad

+$27 flat rate shipping to most states.

This design was pioneered by Ford in 1969 for the Boss 302 program. It improves on the '65 & '66 stock engine crossmember by tying into the lower control arm mounting points, resulting in improved rigidity for the unibody lower front frame section. Helps to stiffen the car right at the control arms where it's needed most. Perfect for cars that already have an export brace and Monte Carlo Bar. Every competition, high performance, and street driven 65-66 Mustang will benefit from this front crossmember. Guaranteed to improve steering stability at all speeds.

superior to similar looking cross members currently sold today.

Features:
1) No interference issues with oil pan.
2) Will clear oil pan if using RM lowering engine mounts. Other cross members will not clear
3) Made from 1.5" steel tubing, same diameter as the stock Ford crossmember, only thicker. Other are relying on smaller 1.375" tubing, or even worse, 1.25" tubing.
4) Steel tubing thickness: 0.125", stronger than the stock and all other aftermarket cross members. Others are using thinner tubing and/or smaller diameter tubing.
5) USA made with USA steel
6) Complete with grade 8 bolts & hardened washers (USA made).
7) priced under the similar competition.
8. 100% money back if not satisfied (not including return shipping)

100% compatible with the aftermarket camber plate upgrade

note: I’ve been swamped with orders for the past year so expect a paid order to be in the production queue for about 2-3 weeks before shipping.

sold over 600 to Mustang owners worldwide, excellent reviews. 100% satisfaction.

Competition Engine Crossmember Review

Zray cross member review

email [email protected]

100% USA MADE, including hardware.

my crossmembers will fit engines that have been lowered 1/2" with the Ron Morris engine mounts. Will fit most aftermarket oil pans too, such as the vintage Cobra lettered T pan, Avaid road racing pans, Moroso pans, and most Canton oil pan applications.

optional model has a round 3.5" diameter jackpad made of 0.25" thick steel tread plate that will fit your floor jack perfectly,

These same crossmembers are also available thru Opentracker or eBay for your convenience.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
100% one of the best "aftermarket" products I purchased on my 66. Bolted in in about 30 min or so, great instructions, all the hardware. Solidified the front end, and a great jacking point now. Cleared my moroso pan without a hitch. Get one, it's WORTH IT!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Absolutely love my Z-ray crossmember. High quality with easy installation. If you're on the fence about buying one of these, just do a search and you can read all of the positive reviews/recommendations. This upgrade is a no-brainer.

John

·
Premium Member
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are these powder coated?
No they are not. I used to have them powercoated until the last powder coat shop in my area closed about 2 +years ago. Now they are painted with Eastwood chassis black paint. If you want to paint or powder coat yourself, the price is $5 off.

Z

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would love to have one myself but unfortunately I did the camber plate modification to the lower control arms. The crossmember would bolt right where the plate is located. Maybe I could integrate a plate into the crossmember....:unsure:

·
Premium Member
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to have one myself but unfortunately I did the camber plate modification to the lower control arms. The crossmember would bolt right where the plate is located. Maybe I could integrate a plate into the crossmember....:unsure:
the crossmembers are 100% compatible with the aftermarket camber plate addition. I’ll add that info to the ad

So belly up to the bar .

Z

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
@zray Do you have a pic? The tabs that lock the can plate in are welded to the frame. Just trying to wrap my mind around how it would work.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Your description mentions it clears most oil pans, even the Scott drake original style pans? I found these are a bit deeper, when I installed one a few weeks back. I had to use some thick shims to allow clearance for the original crossbar to go back in. Will yours fit better?

·
Registered
1966 65A K 22, soon to be v8 swapped
182 Posts
I’ve got my order in, hoping there is another one just outside that picture without the jack pad...

Very much looking forward to seeing mine installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your description mentions it clears most oil pans, even the Scott drake original style pans? I found these are a bit deeper, when I installed one a few weeks back. I had to use some thick shims to allow clearance for the original crossbar to go back in. Will yours fit better?
It will fit without any interference, not even close to touching.

@zray Do you have a pic? The tabs that lock the can plate in are welded to the frame. Just trying to wrap my mind around how it would work.
I don’t have a photo on hand , sorry. How it works: there is a spacer used that keeps the crossmember off of the curved sheet metal at the LCA mounting area. The spacer used with the camber kit equipped cars is just thinner to allow for the width of the camber plate on each side. The steel spacer (0.375” thick, 1.0” OD , 0.5” ID) is what touches the camber plate. The LCA pivot bolt goes thru the spacer. Once everything is tightened down, it’s as solid as the rock of Gibraltar.

Z

·
Premium Member
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I found a couple of photos. The spacer is omitted in the photos for clarity’s sake

3D6B6D14-C4E3-4C77-A4E1-E0B801B93F5A.jpeg
0F2A6719-E6C1-4CCB-827B-DEB97E3953D4.jpeg

·
Premium Member
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So basically it just mounts up against the camber plate. I would have to remove the crossmember to adjust the camber. Which really isn't that hard.

You don’t have remove the crossmember, just loosen the crossmember to frame bolts slightly and take out the LCA pivot bolts. Then you can fish out the camber plates and replace with the size desired.

note: John at Opentracker now sells a redesigned camber plate that is slotted instead of having a hole. That allows one to change plates without taking out the LCA pivot bolt. The same way one would change shims at the UCA.

Z

·
Premium Member
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@zray I will have to take a look at the kit John sells.
FWIW, the camber kit photos and prices on Opentracker’s web site aren’t updated yet, you’d have to email or call him to get updated info on those.

But the crossmember will work fine with the ones you already have.
Z

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
When I was at this point In my build and after measuring a zillion times I was still not comfortable welding not knowing the lower frame was in the right position. I had the original crossmember but it was bent fairly bad. I ordered zrays crossmenber and it fit like a glove,bolted it in and I was then comfortable welding it all up..

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
When I was at this point In my build and after measuring a zillion times I was still not comfortable welding not knowing the lower frame was in the right position. I had the original crossmember but it was bent fairly bad. I ordered zrays crossmenber and it fit like a glove,bolted it in and I was then comfortable welding it all up.. View attachment 772725
When we built our 66 vert we bought a similar cross member from Cobra Automotive. It was well built and fit perfect.

On our 65fb build this year we went with Z’s cross member. It is stouter then the CA unit and the jack plane is a very handy add! You will not be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts