Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Z-Bar experts. Am I out of luck swapping from hydraulic? (Steering column/joint interference)

763 26
Hey guys. So I have a hydraulic clutch setup from back in the day (the ones where everyone was using CNC master's and slaves). Anyways, I think it may be on it's way out.

I was debating switching to a Z-Bar setup (never had one!) for simplicities sake, but wondering if my R&P u-joint is in the way making it impossible. Any leeway to shift fore/aft? Which holes get used. There appear to be 3 holes in a row on that frame rail.

Thanks guys!

Hard to get oriented but in the first photo you are looking from the front of the brake booster down. There is 1 hole hiding in the shadow, and then the two other holes you an see.

Second photo you are looking down from the one side of the booster (can see the edge in the rh side of the photo).

3rd photo you are looking down from the apron.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Hood
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Agitator
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,990 Posts
That's a Bronco equalizer bar offset mount. You'll want this, instead....

Thanks

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I don't know if it will help, but when i did my conversion from C4 to Toploader, I did a comparison of the readily available Z-bars. I superimposed the images to determine which would best fit my application.
Bicycle part Font Musical instrument accessory Auto part Electric blue

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks gents. Well it's not dead yet, just...... lubricious around the outside and in the boots. :D So I am planning ahead for a winter swap if the z-bar will fit. I need to somehow pop my head up underneath and see what kind of clearance I have.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
The z bar shown above is 6 cylinder. The other thing is for the accelerator pedal on a 6 cylinder

21 - 27 of 27 Posts