Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the z-bar need to be installed at the same time you set the engine into the car and stab the transmission already in the car? Is there room to get the z-bar back in there after the engine with cast iron manifolds is in? Any useful tricks to accomplish the installation? I found remnants of a felt washer on one of the z-bar studs so I assume I need a felt washer on both ends of the z-bar. What is a good lubricant to apply to the pvc bushing in each end?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Put the engine and transmission in first, then install the z bar. To do that, have the stud/ball assembly on the engine block, and have the frame side bracket loosely installed so you can move it back and forth with slotted holes. Install the z bar on the engine bracket, then lever the frame bracket into the other end of the z bar and tighten the two bolts holding the bracket onto the frame. After that, attach and adjust all the linkage to the z bar to your liking.

Don't recall what grease I used on the washers because I'm away from home right now. Good luck!

·
Registered
20,998 Posts
Another option. The frame side bracket is held on with 2 bolts. Slide the Z bar on the engine ball stud then insert the frame bracket with the ball stud into the Z bar then bolt to the frame.

·
Registered
853 Posts
^^^ No worries, it is not complicated to install the Z-bar with the engine and exhaust in the car. But the front on jack stands and work from underneath the car (at least this is how I do it). I didn't use any special grease, just something sticky to hold in place.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Yes it’s very easy to install the z bar with the engine and trans in place- especially with a small block and stock manifolds.

I installed the z bar in my ‘68 with a 428 and long tube headers while the drivetrain was in the car. Now that sucked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts