Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading the other threads and got me thinking about locking the hood and remembered Z-Lok from previous threads. Has anyone ever installed one and forgot it's on there and lift the hood without disengaging it? Just wondering if it would just strip the screws off or concave the hood or hold its ground?

Thanks for any inputs!

How It Works - Z-Lok HoodLock

·
VMF Ambassador
6,589 Posts
Hmm, I don't have the Z-Lok but I did engineer something quite similar to it for my '66. The answer is that if your hood is properly adjusted, you can't really raise it with enough momentum to dent the hood before realizing that the mechanism is still in place. You know pretty instantly.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw your thread on your hood lock. Looked well constructed. I guess the key word is properly adjusted!

Thanks Kelly!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have one that was installed by my restorer. He has it adjusted close enough that there is no slack when you release the hood catch. You would have to intentionally and with great force apply enough pressure to damage the hood, Z lok or bracket. You couldn't accidently damage anything by just forgetting to release the Z lok before trying to raise the hood. Dave R.

·
Registered
35,336 Posts
I have one that was installed by my restorer. He has it adjusted close enough that there is no slack when you release the hood catch. You would have to intentionally and with great force apply enough pressure to damage the hood, Z lok or bracket. You couldn't accidently damage anything by just forgetting to release the Z lok before trying to raise the hood. Dave R.
Right. The Z-Lok prevents the hood release lever from moving, not the hood from opening and, if installed properly, will allow the release lever to move but not trip the latch from releasing, making it all but impossible to damage anything (except maybe your fingers).

·
Registered
727 Posts
Right. The Z-Lok prevents the hood release lever from moving, not the hood from opening and, if installed properly, will allow the release lever to move but not trip the latch from releasing, making it all but impossible to damage anything (except maybe your fingers).
Actually, it prevents the hood from opening. Not that hood release from moving. You have it backwards. I have had one installed since 1992.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Actually, it prevents the hood from opening. Not that hood release from moving. You have it backwards. I have had one installed since 1992.
65coupei6 you are correct. Possibly it could be installed to prevent the hood lever from moving but that is not the way it is designed to work. Their online video bears this out. Dave R.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Z Lok/Chapman

We installed probably over 100 Chapman's in the Late 80's-early 90's. We NEVER used the bracket in the kit. We drilled into the latch support and the pin went directly into the latch, meaning there was NO way to get in without releasing the cable. We did it with 69-70's as well, coming into the latch over the top of the radiator. There was no way we were drilling holes into a good original hood and those chintzy screws wouldn't really hold that well with some strong lifting. The pin needs to be trimmed a bit and beveled so it slides into the hole in the latch with no problems. My cable just broke after 25 years of use so it works fairly well! Fortunately, I still have 2 old Chapmans around.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks PonyDoc for the info. Are the Chapmans still available or did they just changed their name to Z-Lok?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Chapman

Chapman died a long time ago, but I've been told this is a continuation of the same lock. It also grounds the ign, so, unless they tow it, this really slows them down!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts