Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay car wizards help me on this. I searched high/low on other forums. Store a 68 Shelby GT350 and jumped/drove a few days ago, everything great - fans, courtesy lights, radio and it started. Next day barely cranked, but lights on. Jumped and same! not seen this before. Got worse every time I tried. jumpers correct. charged battery overnight, checked and 12-13v. Nothing, no lights, no click. tried jumping solenoid, nothing. pulled ignition switch and one wire (grey/purple?) seemingly was out, stripped and put in after checking online images. Nothing. Ughfest.

NSS? Fuses look okay. Wiring to starter okay, cables on battery okay (remember I jumped it too). Wiggled shifter.

Stuck.

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Bad ground.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My 65 has a large plug connection on the right of the master cylinder on engine side of firewall. I lost lots of things when it came loose. Don't know about 68's but I suspect it has one also.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you jumped the large wires on your solenoid, and nothing happened, either the starter is bad or the positive wire lug connections are corroded/bad. If that's not the case, the main engine ground has a bad connection. Pretty simple circuit there. Reading your original post, you could also have good ol' fashioned bad connections at the post or posts of the battery. A good battery terminal cleaner brush that does the post and inside the holes of the cable is a good periodic thing to use. Make sure both surfaces have good, shiny metal showing.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Battery going bad. Shows 12v with the voltmeter but craps out why you try to pull any amps out of it.

Reactions: RV6

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 65 has a large plug connection on the right of the master cylinder on engine side of firewall. I lost lots of things when it came loose. Don't know about 68's but I suspect it has one also.
Thanks but my plugs look connected. 2 of them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you jumped the large wires on your solenoid, and nothing happened, either the starter is bad or the positive wire lug connections are corroded/bad. If that's not the case, the main engine ground has a bad connection. Pretty simple circuit there. Reading your original post, you could also have good ol' fashioned bad connections at the post or posts of the battery. A good battery terminal cleaner brush that does the post and inside the holes of the cable is a good periodic thing to use. Make sure both surfaces have good, shiny metal showing.
Yes jumped large wires/post on solenoid. A starter being bad doesnt explain why the accessory lights dont work. So probably not that, eh? Am not that car savvy. Interesting on battery terminals. They look fine/not corroded but will undo, clean, redo. It DOES seem to be an overall juice issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Battery going bad. Shows 12v with the voltmeter but craps out why you try to pull any amps out of it.
Maybe but even some residual juice would light the door lights, etc. Now nothing, zippo. Like no connection whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
As already mentioned, a bad connection (pos or neg) or a bad battery. I'd check battery terminals, pos to the solenoid (and all the other connections there on the solenoid post), battery to ground. If all of those are good take the battery to an auto parts store and have them do a load test on the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes jumped large wires/post on solenoid. A starter being bad doesnt explain why the accessory lights dont work. So probably not that, eh? Am not that car savvy. Interesting on battery terminals. They look fine/not corroded but will undo, clean, redo. It DOES seem to be an overall juice issue.
AND THE WINNER IS....Dan Babb. Enjoy the Broyhill lawn and patio set Dan....it was the negative battery terminal. Looked good....but was not good enough. VROOM now.

Thanks much everyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As already mentioned, a bad connection (pos or neg) or a bad battery. I'd check battery terminals, pos to the solenoid (and all the other connections there on the solenoid post), battery to ground. If all of those are good take the battery to an auto parts store and have them do a load test on the battery.
Correct also and thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts