Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just changed the valve seals on my stock '65 A code. My '65 Ford Mustang shop manual says to add 1 1/2 turns of preload after hitting zero lash? This seems like an awful lot, could it be true or is it a typo? I don't want to set them with the engine running, because everything is fully detailed with painted manifolds.
Thanks,
Paul.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
That more than I've ever seen or done. I have found 1/2 to 3/4 works just fine. I'm sure we'll hear from others.

Lou

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't change the lifters, and I have no way of knowing if they are the original Ford parts. The motor is the original with about 100K miles on it and was rebuilt at least once by the PPO. I had them set at 1 1/2 turns as per the book, and have since backed them off to one turn. It is running fine with no noise, so I think I'll leave then there unless I hear otherwise?
Thanks,
Paul.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The idea in setting hydraulic lifters is to put the plunger in the center of it's travel, ideally. The info in the shop manual is probably based on total travel, to center the plunger. Taking it 1/2 turn will probably work fine, but I'd rather be closer to center of travel. One turn is certainly not too much!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Count how many turns from zero lash to starting to open the valve on a couple lifters, then use something under half that many turns.

Better, if you have a dial indicator, set between .020" to .060" depression of the push rod seat from its retaining ring.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great feedback guys. I left them at one turn past zero and drove about 50 miles today. So far all is quiet and the car is running fine. I had thought of tightening a couple down to the max to count the total number of turns (and then divide by two to set) but was afraid to damage the lifters.
Paul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts