Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I say the easiest solution, cut out the shock towers, and put in a Coyote. (Or some would say on a certain Facebook page that I got suspended from lol)

Chris

which gen? maybe a link or something
with tkx?
just want to find something, where I could assemble together drop it in and fire up. modern engines - the electronics, that what worries me

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'd go BluePrint, but yes.

Tremec has a few varieties of TKX for Ford applications, choose the input shaft/clutch combo and ratios that suit you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'd go BluePrint, but yes.

Tremec has a few varieties of TKX for Ford applications, choose the input shaft/clutch combo and ratios that suit you.
I looked @ them before but after taxes trans+engine ends up ~$19k-$21k which is a few thousands above my budget

·
Registered
303 Posts
I looked @ them before but after taxes trans+engine ends up ~$19k-$21k which is a few thousands above my budget
Blueprint 450HP 408W with intake, carb, distributor @ $7,399.00
Tremec TKX @ $2,795.00
Add headers/exhaust, fuel & plumbing, clutch, flywheel, water pump, clutch linkage parts, driveshaft, shipping and the small stuff and you're probably just slightly past your $12,000 budget.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Blueprint 450HP 408W with intake, carb, distributor @ $7,399.00
Tremec TKX @ $2,795.00
Add headers/exhaust, fuel & plumbing, clutch, flywheel, water pump, clutch linkage parts, driveshaft, shipping and the small stuff and you're probably just slightly past your $12,000 budget.
can you send a link?
I was looking here MUSTANG DRESS ENGINE/TRANS Packages
and the prices were pretty high

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
What should you get? A second job. :p
lol it would be nice but in my case just don't want to blow money on unnecessary options and make foolish decisions, therefore I ask all of you guys because you spent long time around these cars.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
One thing is for sure, this WILL NOT be an inexpensive build to even come close to the desired attributes listed in the first post......

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
303 Posts
can you send a link?
I was looking here MUSTANG DRESS ENGINE/TRANS Packages
and the prices were pretty high
I linked the engine in my first reply to you. An old 5.0L has like 225hp, it's not going to be easy to make 450hp with it. More cubes = the easier it gets to make the power, and the easier the engine has to work to move the car along. A 450hp 302 isn't going to make a lot of power at low RPM, but the 408 stroker will do it quite effortlessly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
One thing is for sure, this WILL NOT be an inexpensive build to even come close to the desired attributes listed in the first post......

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
I know. In my case,
I bought a coupe instead of fastback, then got conversion to fastback kit. So I saved about $25k.
Suspension it's not something that I would compromise with so I plan to spend 13k on the Detroit Suspension, front + rear. The whole brake system plus wheels will be custom made so it's not in the budget. 12k left for the engine + tranny. I can squeeze a bit more budget but on something that makes sense. So I thought if to get something with 450hp that has some potential + tranny it would be a great solution for me but due to the specifics of such cars (i messed only with the modern ones) I ask you guys to see if you could pin-point on "get this, this and that" pretty much

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I linked the engine in my first reply to you. An old 5.0L has like 225hp, it's not going to be easy to make 450hp with it. More cubes = the easier it gets to make the power, and the easier the engine has to work to move the car along. A 450hp 302 isn't going to make a lot of power at low RPM, but the 408 stroker will do it quite effortlessly.
You right, I checked they are very low on hp.

Amazing, just found it.
It makes a lot of sense.
I guess I should start make a list of things I will need for the upgrade.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I guess I will continue in my Google Sheet doc
and will update here with the list of things.

I think what @1stLove says makes sense.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,657 Posts
lol it would be nice but in my case just don't want to blow money on unnecessary options and make foolish decisions, therefore I ask all of you guys because you spent long time around these cars.
You come sauntering into the land of unnecessary and foolish and expect salvation? :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You come sauntering into the land of unnecessary and foolish and expect salvation? :D
hahaha you right. my plan was instead of buying fastback in rusty roller condition for 35, get coupe + conversion for 7500 total, then invest the rest into proper upgrades so it is foolish but not too much lol.
i recently bought 73 camaro z28 and it was really foolish even I like that car :)

·
I won a special award
9,051 Posts
To get a 289/302 to the 450hp range is going to take a lot more money than your budget allows. As I think you know already, a 351W stroker is the best way for the money to get to that power level in a vintage Mustang. I run a 393W that runs somehwere in the 550hp-600hp range. It was built around 2008 and cost approximately $12k back then. The only Ford parts in my engine are the block and timing chain cover. I seriously doubt you can make 450hp out of a 289/302 for the money you want to spend. Power cost money.

For the transmission, I'm a big fan of a modern 5 speed overdrive if you're wanting to run a manual transmission. A modern overdrive transmission allows you to run an aggressive rear end ratio gear (I have 4.11 gears in my car) while being able to cruise at highway speeds with low engine rpm's. I have a TKX 5 speed in my car. It cost me $2,800 to my door earlier this year. I already had a hydraulic throwout bearing, scattershield, flywheel and clutch for my car from the TKO I had been running previously. So that saved me a couple of grand in ancillary items for the transmission. The TKX is a smaller case than its predecessor the TKO and doesn't require any modifications to fit in a 67-73 Mustang. A TKX would not need any modifications out of the box to work and last behind a 450hp engine. A TKX is rated for 600 ft-lbs of torque and 8,000 rpm. I would not use a T5 as they're not rated or designed for the power level you want.

That's just my opinion and experience. It's your money and your car. You build it the way you want. Unfortunately I don't think you can get a 450hp engine and a 5 speed transmission with a $12K budget.

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
To get a 289/302 to the 450hp range is going to take a lot more money than your budget allows. As I think you know already, a 351W stroker is the best way for the money to get to that power level in a vintage Mustang. I run a 393W that runs somehwere in the 550hp-600hp range. It was built around 2008 and cost approximately $12k back then. The only Ford parts in my engine are the block and timing chain cover. I seriously doubt you can make 450hp out of a 289/302 for the money you want to spend. Power cost money.

For the transmission, I'm a big fan of a modern 5 speed overdrive if you're wanting to run a manual transmission. A modern overdrive transmission allows you to run an aggressive rear end ratio gear (I have 4.11 gears in my car) while being able to cruise at highway speeds with low engine rpm's. I have a TKX 5 speed in my car. It cost me $2,800 to my door earlier this year. I already had a hydraulic throwout bearing, scattershield, flywheel and clutch for my car from the TKO I had been running previously. So that saved me a couple of grand in ancillary items for the transmission. The TKX is a smaller case than its predecessor the TKO and doesn't require any modifications to fit in a 67-73 Mustang. A TKX would not need any modifications out of the box to work and last behind a 450hp engine. A TKX is rated for 600 ft-lbs of torque and 8,000 rpm. I would not use a T5 as they're not rated or designed for the power level you want.

That's just my opinion and experience. It's your money and your car. You build it the way you want. Unfortunately I don't think you can get a 450hp engine and a 5 speed transmission with a $12K budget.
Thank you for a detailed reply. I'm trying to budget it but if I will need to ramp it up, well, I will.

So far, with @1stLove help we found BluePrint Engines 408CI Stroker (450hp) which is $7400.
TKX 5 speed as you mentioned $2800
subtotal $10200

I think I can't put anything from 289 to this one so, there will be need
  • ac (optional),
  • alternator
  • water pump
  • balancer
  • other pulleys
  • belts
  • bracket
  • bolts
  • gas pump
  • starter
I think I also will need
  • Flywheel
  • Flexplate
  • Single disk clutch
  • Hydraulic throw out bearing
  • Bell housing
  • Engine guard

what else?

ps there's probably cheaper solutions than this one but as long as I will list all the parts I need for this upgrade I will start to look for options.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yes, but count on at least another $2000 for additional parts for the engine (intake, carb, filter, fuel lines, headers, engine mounts, water pump, ignition) and also $2000 for the transmission (clutch, clutch pedal and linkage of some kind, bell housing, drive shaft, shifter, transmission mount).

Edit, my answer was to your post #35.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes, but count on at least another $2000 for additional parts for the engine (intake, carb, filter, fuel lines, headers, engine mounts, water pump, ignition) and also $2000 for the transmission (clutch, clutch pedal and linkage of some kind, bell housing, drive shaft, shifter, transmission mount).

Edit, my answer was to your post #35.
Great. Will add to the list and look for compatible items.
The moment when I will say- okay I got everything I need in my list, then I will play with brands, builders, and so on.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,302 Posts
You think you saved 25k on the conversion..... I'd wait to do the math on that when you're done.

Reactions: GT289
21 - 40 of 77 Posts